• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss current 2391 course information in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

AlexGoode

Regular EF Member
hi, currently doing 2391 course and getting told on a periodic that the only tests you have to do as minimum are zs and rcd, anyone else been taught to do this. tutor shows guidance note 3 and in as way you can relate to it but jut doesn't sound right signing a house off after only being there half an hour?

Pete999

Forum Mentor
That's 3 times you have asked that question Mate

AlexGoode

Regular EF Member
The purpose of periodic inspect and test is to provide an ENGINEERING VIEW ...A detailed VISUAL INSPECTION is required with appropriate tests. the results are mainly to confirm DISCONNECTION TIMES ARE MET as stated in Chapter 41

Last edited:

Diver233

Fire alarms
Not what I was told but hey ho, everyone wants everything instantly.
Not sure you’ll pass the 2391-51 exam just doing that, but would be interested if you do

Blissof89

Regular EF Member
I did my 2391-52 a couple weeks ago and we did full tests for each circuit unless we came across a fault.

Diver233

Fire alarms
The 5 pages of the ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT is going to look a bit empty just doing two tests.
I’d ask the tutor to put it in writing that on the practical if you just test zs and RCD you will pass. If I remember correctly it’s a two hour practical exam.
Not sure what you’ll do for the other 110 mins after just the two tests.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
hi, currently doing 2391 course and getting told on a periodic that the only tests you have to do as minimum are zs and rcd, anyone else been taught to do this. tutor shows guidance note 3 and in as way you can relate to it but jut doesn't sound right signing a house off after only being there half an hour?
Sorry, that is incorrect.
The minimum is a Zs test.

Diver233

Fire alarms
Hello SpinLondon,

Alex and I are not talking about testing in the field where you may have faults or issues doing all the tests. We are talking about in the actual 2391 exam what tests will you have to do to pass the exam.
I would be gob smacked if anyone could walk into the test pod and just do a simple Zs test sign the paperwork walk out and pass the practical, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

AlexGoode

Regular EF Member
Hello SpinLondon,

Alex and I are not talking about testing in the field where you may have faults or issues doing all the tests. We are talking about in the actual 2391 exam what tests will you have to do to pass the exam.
I would be gob smacked if anyone could walk into the test pod and just do a simple Zs test sign the paperwork walk out and pass the practical, but I am happy to be proved wrong.
I am talking about in the field,more just domestic properties when they just want a simple cert. Where gn 3 days meet8g disconnection times and appropriate tests, all that would require is rcd test and zs with a thorough inspection

gazdkw82

Trainee
Trainee Access
On the practical test you will required to complete a full series of tests in the correct order for the initial verification and a selection of tests for the periodic (if not all the tests again)

In real life, most on our course admit they only Zs and RCD test most circuits. A few said they confirm RFC continuity aswell.

It seems it's a common theme. Maybe its pressures on time or just the deal (sample rate) that was agreed with the client

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.