Discuss Current Clamp Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 105166

I have a Megger MFT1741 with current clamp, also a Fluke 117.
As the MFT can't record min/max, I'm using the current clamp with the Fluke multimeter, following Megger's instructions and understanding the 1000:1 step down ratio.
Just taking some basic readings on known values, the results are well outside what I'd expect to see.
For example, a line load of 8.29A on the MFT translates as 14.4V on the DMM
An 0.8mA earth leakage on the MFT shows as 2.3mV on the DMM
As the DMM is true RMS, I understand peak voltage being 1.41 x the RMS, however the measurements I'm achieving are significantly outside any adjustment to take this into account.
All equipment is recently calibrated and works very predictably on its own.
The current clamp also hums when used with the Fluke DMM if clamping a load over a few A.
It does not hum when used with the MFT, irrespective of load size.
Any thoughts/ideas welcome (other than "why did you buy that over priced huge I-clamp instead of the much more useful and compact Megger DCM305 clamp?"...which I've asked myself many times...:)

Agree. The clamp produces 1mA/A into 1Ω, which develops the 1mV/A that the meter displays. If the resistor is open-circuit then the clamp will output an arbitrarily high voltage into the meter's input resistance. The clamp contains a limiter that restricts the output to 28V peak, to avoid damage to the secondary coil if the connection to the burden resistance is lost when measuring a heavy current. However even at the low currents you are testing, the core flux is much too high hence the buzzing. What kind of resistor are you using?

Exactly. Because the MFT is designed specifically to use the clamp, it incorporates the correct resistor.

The DMM does not and cannot contain the resistor; you have to provide it externally. A normal external CT works with the meter's current ranges, not voltage, and your clamp might produce acceptable results that way. However it is calibrated into a 1R load and if the DMM integral current shunt differs from this value, the calibration will be affected. So it is best to load with 1R and use the voltage range.

Indeed. Imagine trying to measure 230V with a DMM with an input impedance of 1R (instead of the usual 10 megohms)!
Your original post said that you were following Megger's instructions, not just shoving the leads into the Fluke...
Your reading of 14.4V across what should have been 1R was a clue that the resistor was faulty, but it seems that you haven't actually provided it yet.
The clamp measures currents up to 1000 A with a 1000:1 step-down ratio,
which gives an output of 1 mV per amp into 1 ohm.
The resistor will dissipate 1 W measuring 1000A.
(A common 0.6-W 1% tolerance resistor available for about a penny would only be good for measuring 774A.)

Reply to Current Clamp Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock