Discuss Current leaking through some On/Off switches? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey!

I bought a few simple on/off switches that you plug into a socket, and they have a single output which is either on or off depending on a toggle on the switch. It's AC current.

However, as I put a LED onto one of them, I noticed it was dimly lit even after the switch was set to off. Also, an adapter with a LED on it would blink every 20 seconds. This LED is supposed to be either on or off. Something was filling it's capacitors. I used a multimeter and it showed a bouncy supply of 0V to 2.5V being pushed out of the switch when it was off.

I tested another switch I bought, and it worked as intended. No dim light, no flashing LED.

I had bought about 5 switches, from two different places. I tested all of my switches, and 3/5 of them would leak, and two would not.

I opened up the actual toggle switch on one of the leaking ones, and I saw nothing wrong. I removed the whole switch mechanism, but left it soldered as is and plugged it in. Even without a functioning switch, it was still leaking. No wires are connected directly to each other to create a circuit.

However, I noticed how the toggle switch was O on top and I on bottom on the switches that worked, and it was reverse in the ones that leaked.

As I looked at the wiring, it was also reversed, which to me would mean that it should be correct.

I will attach two pictures. One is of the switch that leaks, and one is of a drawing I made for myself to show the connections.

The top drawing is of a switch that works. The bottom drawing is of a switch that does not work. The small circles are connections to and from the wall socket. The large circles are the connections that go to any given device I plug into the switch.

In text form, a switch that does lot work has a connection come from the wall into the connector, then into the I pin of the switch. A connection comes out of the center and goes into the other connector. Then a connection comes out of the O pin, and into the wall. The drawing will make more sense. The switch that works is reversed this, but the connections are all the same.

So what gives? I don't see how this system can leak current even without a working toggle switch. The pins remained on the switch, and so did all the connections. The only thing that was missing was the insides of the actual toggle switch.

TL;DR
Some on off switches work, others leak a small amount of current in off position. Only difference seems to be which way the toggle switch is.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_020603.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220910_020550.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 12
An update:

So I am baffled. If I plug the switches that leaked current the other way around into the same socket, they work, and the ones that worked before start leaking. Is there something I am not getting here that I should definitely know when it comes to how the basic power in apartments work?

Is the on-off switch an illuminated type, eg with a neon inside?
if so, maybe in one of those configurations (where the manufacturer has wired the switch the wrong way round) the neon bulb might be in series with the load when the switch off!
So that current flows through the neon and your load causing your light to glow or flash when the switch is off.
Nothing wrong with your apartment wiring, but something wrong with Chinese manufacturing?

Eg if the switch is made like this (just an example, yours may be 220V etc):
DE24DC8F-0CFF-4CD3-AD3B-C48BF329D88A.jpeg

Last edited:
Is the on-off switch an illuminated type, eg with a neon inside?
if so, maybe in one of those configurations (where the manufacturer has wired the switch the wrong way round) the neon bulb might be in series with the load when the switch off!
So that current flows through the neon and your load causing your light to glow or flash when the switch is off.
Nothing wrong with your apartment wiring, but something wrong with Chinese manufacturing?

Eg if the switch is made like this (just an example, yours may be 220V etc):
View attachment 101461
Yes, there is a signal light to show whether the switch is on or off. I think this light be an issue. Not sure if you noticed my own reply to this, but plugging the switch in the opposite way, if the O is pointin upwards, fixed the issue. I need to look at this further after I get some sleep!

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was worried that my landlord had set up his own wiring or something and that there might be a hazard.

Reply to Current leaking through some On/Off switches? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net