Discuss Current limited charge relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

opfrei

EF
DIY
Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking to charge an auxiliary windlass battery (130Ah lithium) that is located 35 feet away from my main bank (1030Ah lithium). My charging input will range from to 40 to 100 Amps, but I need to keep the wire size to a maximum of 6AWG. Do you know of any current limited charging relays similar to the "Mastervolt 83304002 Charge Mate Pro 40", which has a maximum output of 40A? Are there cheaper ways to achieve the same result, perhaps by combining a separate relay and dc-dc converter? Please keep in mind this is for boat and the installation needs to be worthy of the marine environment. Thanks in advance!

You don't mention the system voltage, I'll assume it's 12V. A total circuit length of 2 x 35 = 70' of #6 wire will have a resistance of about 30 milliohms. At 100A the drop along this run will be 3V, which on a 12V system is more or less unworkable without voltage boost conversion. I.e. the windlass battery would probably never see a 100A charge rate. I think the Mastervolt unit will limit the charge rate by functioning as a buck converter (that also serves as an active reverse current gate) but won't boost it.

There are products that will take an unregulated input voltage (in your case typically low due to the significant voltage drop in the cable) and buck/boost it into a chemistry-specific charging cycle for the auxiliary battery. They are essentially DC-powered battery chargers, a.k.a 'battery-to-battery' chargers, for example see this unit that does up to 120A: Sterling B-2-B

If you want to avoid the complication / cost / power loss of a boost converter, you might have to re-assess the #6 maximum cable choice or your maximum charge rate.

The reason why a windlass is often powered by it's own close-by battery is to avoid a large cable running from the main house bank that is often at the other end of the boat... So allowing for a charging cable that'll carry 100A is kinda defeating the purpose.

Sterling do a 'Battery Maintainer' that outputs 3A... this may form part of a better solution. If it draws say 4A... allowing for a 3% voltage drop... gives 7AWG cable ?

Reply to Current limited charge relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock