Discuss Currys refused to install my daughter's cooker, but.... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Today my daughter received her replacement built-in oven from Currys. She'd paid for connection and disposal.

I got a call from her saying that the Currys guys had refused to install it because they had measured the voltage at the connector block at the rear of the old oven at 117V. This is the only measurement quoted on the check sheet.

Its a few years ago that I did my 14th edition C&G but this sound plain wrong, and suspicious since it was just before lunch and I suspect the guys were looking for an excuse to 'abort' the installation.

I've been around to check over the circuit - 80A RCD on CU and 30A MCB spur with a switched cooker point - and all seems to be in order with all cables secure and 240V at the rear terminals of the old oven.

Am I missing something or could Curry's guys know something I don't?

Don’t believe Curry’s installers. I’ve had a number of runs in with them. They only know the tick sheet they carry and will just walk off, trousering the install fee if the job looks like it’ll take more than 3 minutes.
Got a voltmeter? Go and check the voltage. It’ll be 240.

Today my daughter received her replacement built-in oven from Currys. She'd paid for connection and disposal.

I got a call from her saying that the Currys guys had refused to install it because they had measured the voltage at the connector block at the rear of the old oven at 117V. This is the only measurement quoted on the check sheet.

Its a few years ago that I did my 14th edition C&G but this sound plain wrong, and suspicious since it was just before lunch and I suspect the guys were looking for an excuse to 'abort' the installation.

I've been around to check over the circuit - 80A RCD on CU and 30A MCB spur with a switched cooker point - and all seems to be in order with all cables secure and 240V at the rear terminals of the old oven.

Am I missing something or could Curry's guys know something I don't?
What was "the curries guy using to measure the voltage" would be my first question, along with whatever it was,was it calibrated?

As above if measured phase to Earth it could be the result of a floating cpc, with you measuring between phase and neutral. But these obviously are assumptions on my part.

If the voltage really was 117V then the installers have done the correct thing and potentially avoided damaging the oven. Looking on the Currys website there is nothing stated abut what happens if an installation cannot be performed for a valid reason, so your daughter will have to ring Currys to see what they will do. I expect they will refund all or part of the installation charge; but she might have to push them to do so. Your daughter could use the refund to pay an electrician to install the cooker.

I have lost count of perfectly good cooker circuits that curry's guys have refused to install for various reasons. The latest one was just a week ago customer told me that the currys installer had said he/they could not instal the new cooker because the circuit was illegal. Utter rubbish - He actually thought that the oven outlet was connected to the kitchen ring....He was wrong, They did not even check the fuseboard where a nice shiny circuit breaker clearly labelled Cooker - .....Suffice to say I think the general feeling of these so-called installers is .....Most do not know what they are doing and seem to spend as much time dodging work as they do actually install anything.

Edit to add - Curry's did refund the install charge.

As above if measured phase to Earth it could be the result of a floating cpc, with you measuring between phase and neutral. But these obviously are assumptions on my part.

I don't know where the Currys guy measured but I measured between phase and neutral. I'll do a more thorough check, including cpc, tomorrow when I have more time and better light.

Thanks to all for your input.

When they say installation they mean plug in. A few years back I bought one of those fridges that needed a water supply for the ice maker. I mistakenly and probably somewhat naively thought they’d do the plumbing required. A complete con if you ask me and one of those marketing ploys that skates round the edges of a misrepresentation.

When they say installation they mean plug in. A few years back I bought one of those fridges that needed a water supply for the ice maker. I mistakenly and probably somewhat naively thought they’d do the plumbing required. A complete con if you ask me and one of those marketing ploys that skates round the edges of a misrepresentation.

...Go on...yer big show-off...;)

Reply to Currys refused to install my daughter's cooker, but.... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock