Discuss Custom light fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

skyesparky

A friend has just started making custom light fittings, they have'nt actually sold any yet, and have asked me about regulations and proving their safe. Proving their safe and constructed properly is the easy bit but it got me thinking about the paperwork ect. Each fitting will be class 2 and made to order. I have come up with the following ssuggestions

1) On completion carry out a IR test
2) Provide Installation instructions, although heavy emphasis on "if in doubt consult a qualified electrician"
3) A serial number on fitting, so it can be traced in event of litigation.

Anyone have any ideas/experience of this?

A friend has just started making custom light fittings, they have'nt actually sold any yet, and have asked me about regulations and proving their safe. Proving their safe and constructed properly is the easy bit but it got me thinking about the paperwork ect. Each fitting will be class 2 and made to order. I have come up with the following suggestions

2) Provide Installation instructions, although heavy emphasis on "if in doubt consult a qualified electrician"

fairly sure that light fittings have to legally have CE/BSI safety approvals etc..... I think it takes a while and costs a bit of money but they test them to destruction......

Thanks for the replies guys. Regarding ce approval i found an article on the eu website that seems to suggest that self certification is possible providing all relevent directives and regs are met. I stand to be corrected on this though!

A friend has just started making custom light fittings, they have'nt actually sold any yet, and have asked me about regulations and proving their safe. Proving their safe and constructed properly is the easy bit but it got me thinking about the paperwork ect. Each fitting will be class 2 and made to order. I have come up with the following ssuggestions

I'd advise your friend to invest in a PAT tester, one that can confirm Class11 (via a flash test). He will then also be able to supply a test print out cert!! lol!!

I have read that if it does not have a CE mark then the installer has to prove that it is equal or greater than the requirements of the CE approval should anything go wrong.

Well if self certification can be applied, then electrically, the PAT testing route would be the way to go to achieve that certification... lol!!

I could also see an insurance company leaping on this (i.e. - no CE accreditation) as a reason not to pay out in the event of something going Pete Tong.

PAT testing is the tip of the iceberg E54. Theres also proving conformity to various eu directives. Ive read the whole article and its mostly a paper exercise. Each fitting needs to be traceable from design drawings, calculations for ccc, initial testing (PAT) and commissioning. My friends said only 10 or so fittings will be produced a year, each one a custom design, so i think CE approval is possible. The individual electrical components such as lampholders, flex and connectors are obviously CE rated so i dont see that being a problem provided they are suitable selected for ccc ect. The body of the fitting is non metallic but is a natural product so proving ce conformity on this is going to be tricky i think.

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

posted my reply before seeing your comment lodmoorhill. This is what i said to my mate when she asked for my advice, ie guarding against possible litigation if it all goes a bit pete tong!

PAT testing is the tip of the iceberg E54. Theres also proving conformity to various eu directives. Ive read the whole article and its mostly a paper exercise. Each fitting needs to be traceable from design drawings, calculations for ccc, initial testing (PAT) and commissioning. My friends said only 10 or so fittings will be produced a year, each one a custom design, so i think CE approval is possible. The individual electrical components such as lampholders, flex and connectors are obviously CE rated so i dont see that being a problem provided they are suitable selected for ccc ect. The body of the fitting is non metallic but is a natural product so proving ce conformity on this is going to be tricky i think.

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

No idea what's required over all, i was just referring to the electrical testing of the finished item!!

papers papers papers, b&q selling hundreds of class 1 fittings a day, most without a designated earth terminal, no one gives a damn.

Reply to Custom light fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock