Discuss customer from hell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Garythenab

Got a problem on a CCu change I'm doing.
There was s fault on one of the circuits which I didn't connect back. When I explained the problem with the customer she went mental and demanded it went back; which I obviously did not.

These were her excuses why it should have gone back:
It worked before you started fiddling
You can leave the earth out I've lived in houses with no earth
I've lived in houses 500 years old this house and its wiring is new to me.

When I still refused she threatened to take me to court to sue me lol.

In all seriousness I'm thinking of walking away. What should I do?

Terms an conditions, all signed before you started the work and was she aware there was a problem as you went, sounds more like poor communication or half a story

As long as you leave it safe I can't see how it would stand up in court. Take pictures of your work just incase though.

I would offer to rectify or rewire the problematic circuit on an extras rate if it was not part of the agreed works.

Just remember that it only takes 1 miserable old lady with a big mouth to ruin a lot of potential future work for you. Word of mouth trumps all and mud sticks.

if it's a minor fault, fix it. if it's major, negotiation time.

When I first viewed the job I went round the property with her husband. They had just bought it.

I explained everything to him he was happy and wanted an estimate as he understood that these problems can be found and would cost extra

When I first viewed the job I went round the property with her husband. They had just bought it.

I explained everything to him he was happy and wanted an estimate as he understood that these problems can be found and would cost extra

Sounds like you need to wait until the man of the house comes home! :smilielol5:

I'm hoping I can just pull another length of cable through as its in a void not far from the ccu. But she wanted it connected there and then.

No testing went on before the job. When I went to look at it they were preparing to head back to there old place for a few days. But all the ins and outs were explained before I gave them an estimate

I would suggest that you talk to the husband then. I always do a spread of tests on all circuits prior to quoting for a board change, that way there are few surprises.
I'm assuming that you are Part P registered as you have completed a board change, so what have your scheme provider advised?

He was there yesterday spoke to him after and he was fine, but his wife's behaviour was disgusting and I refuse to spoken to like that by anyone.

my thoughts too. also on comment below - dropping a cable down cavity loosely will mean its not supported throughout its run and therefore will be a non conformance on install cert. hope you manage to work something out. id assume he will want a fixed price to sort it at this stage which will be a hard one if its a nightmare to sort

The price won't be a problem for him. It was a useful socket for her which is why I think she was upset, still no justification in expecting me to put something dangerous back into operation and then trying to threaten to sue me when I refused to put it back as it was

Did you test the dildo and make sure its class 2? Because if its class 1 it could have a live-earth fault.

On a serious note I think it's time you had a T&C on the quotes you give your customer saying something like. (If a fault is found which can be potentially dangerous circuit will be left isolated).

Reply to customer from hell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock