Discuss Customer getting in my face in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, i hope this is in the right section (if not i do apologise and will not do it again).

I need some help with a very problem customer, I have carried out a c/u change and issued a EIC, then 2 weeks later I get a phone call blaming me for the boiler not working, called to the address and found the boiler controls had no output. So replaced them and checked all the operation (all working fine). No heres the pain in the bum bit. Got another call (4 months later) to say that ever since i fitted the controls the heating system doesnt work and their plumber has said that the controls were the problem, i went to the property and checked all the wiring and found the thermostat that is on the side of the hot water tank wasnt shutting off. Went back to the customer with this information, had another call saying that the plumber had got his electrician in and that he redone the boiler controls and now everything is working fine.

Sorry it's a bit long winded but, im having difficulty explaining to the customer that what i done was not wrong and i wasnt given the chance to be there when the so called electrician repaired the wiring. Anyway this customer is now trying to say that the EIC i issued should cover the boiler wiring even though i havent tested it. And that the EIC is a gaurentee (sorry for bad spelling) for 3 years!!!!.

Many thanks in advance

Chris Hughes

what do ur terms and conditions say! where is he getting his info? just contact ur governing body and ask them. ask him also what he wants from u? ie, new test cert? what is he after? money back?(prob the latter)!

A test cert is not a guarentee, it just proves that the electrics that u tested comply to bs7671, and if they don't then this would have been picked up during testing. Any guarentees are with u and what u outline in ur Terms & conditions

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair he was a family friend so did it on the cheap for him, I dont currently have a governing body as my LABC is free to register under a certain price band. He is getting his info from this spark (and i use that term loosley) as this spark wont contact me and the customer doesnt want to get him involved. He keeps hinting that i contribute to the invoice from the plumber but hasn't said that exact thing (yet).
But am i right in thinking that only what is on the EIC is covered by it e.g on the schedule of test results.

would this guy blame his plumber for the xmas lights not working? would he blame a joiner for his fridge not freezing. the guy is an arse. looking for ways of dodging paying. sack him and get better clients. you've done your job and issued a cert. specifically for the work you've done. he's trying to pull a fast one.

Last edited:
the boiler was not part of your remit. as you say, you have done him some foc work, due to grief. if he's not happy now, tell him to go forth and multiply. these are the sort of customers you don't want

for what? your job, as i see it , was a CU change. this T**T is trying to pull a fast one in the someting for nothing scenario. as long as you are confident in the original works undertaken, call his bluff, write to him cc your solicitor, threatening a law suit for defamation, see what he does then.

The most annoying thing is, that they aren't believing a single word i say and now are saying that the EIC has been falsified due to me not inspecting it properly. I am very confident as have fitted loads of boiler controls, even my plumber friend said its nothing i have done. But the ex-customer has known his plumber for 25 years and he trusts what he says. But i digress, he is calling me incompitant now. Is there a reg that states that only what is on the cert is covered by it as im so p***ed off with it all (not good for a man who just found out he going to be a dad ( yeah))

Thanks tony, thing is, i didnt even charge them for my time when i first found the fault with the thermostat on the hot water tank, but they arent listening to anything i say, just amking out im incompitant and that i will never work in this town again blah blah blah

dont argue the ----, send a letter stating you issued the eic for the fixed wiring and cu replacement only.

didnt put 500v through it by any chance:)

i have had several dealings with this kind of customer. what you have been contracted to do is on your cert,and that is the end of it. the guy is trying to bully you into doing or paying for work which is not your resposibility, as i said, call his bluff, don't let him get the better of you. like i said, threaten to sue him for defamation, libel, and so forth. if in doubt, seek advice from a solicitor, but, from what you have said, he ain't got as leg to stand on.

This fella (or his misus) is trying to get some cash out of you.
As previously said an EIC is not a gaurantee.
The fact is if you had put the limitations of your test in the Extent of Installation box this chancer would have had no comeback.
This aside, when he told you he held you responsible for the heating not working you should have told him this was not possible as you had not touched them. END OF DISCUSION!!!
By rewiring the heating controls you have now made yourself liable for them.

Chris

Get all your facts written down on a piece of and put it to one side and get on with your business and if you get an LBA then act on it.

Thats exactly what i keep trying to say to him but he wont have it. even my plumber friend said to me, even if you did wire up the controls wrong it still wouldn't do the fault that he is describing to me.

This fella (or his misus) is trying to get some cash out of you.
As previously said an EIC is not a gaurantee.
The fact is if you had put the limitations of your test in the Extent of Installation box this chancer would have had no comeback.
This aside, when he told you he held you responsible for the heating not working you should have told him this was not possible as you had not touched them. END OF DISCUSION!!!
By rewiring the heating controls you have now made yourself liable for them.
but he's not charged for doing the heating, so he has not touched it!!!

Reply to Customer getting in my face in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net