Discuss Customer not paying in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Anyone got any advice on what to do please? I'm owed nearly £400 for various work for a customer. The work included replacing light fittings and accessories, all of which I supplied. I also, soon after doing this work, did two EICRs for her. To cut a long story short she was very unhappy that I'd failed them both, despite being for very good reason. Unknown to me she got another electrician to do the inspections a few days later who apparently passed them both, which I find hard to believe. When I sent the invoice she replied and said she'd give me £60 for my time and that was being generous. I pointed out the price is for all the work I did before the inspection and that I was being generous for not charging for those. She seemed ok with that but two months have since passed and not had any response to two reminders, so now working out what to do next.

Anyone got any advice on what to do please? I'm owed nearly £400 for various work for a customer. The work included replacing light fittings and accessories, all of which I supplied. I also, soon after doing this work, did two EICRs for her. To cut a long story short she was very unhappy that I'd failed them both, despite being for very good reason. Unknown to me she got another electrician to do the inspections a few days later who apparently passed them both, which I find hard to believe. When I sent the invoice she replied and said she'd give me £60 for my time and that was being generous. I pointed out the price is for all the work I did before the inspection and that I was being generous for not charging for those. She seemed ok with that but two months have since passed and not had any response to two reminders, so now working out what to do next.
Why are you not charging for the inspections?

I made sure that when doing EICR test .I would warn the client that it might not "Go to plan" And they might have to accept spending money and in some cases a lot .Most had properties that needed very little .Some had not spent any money on the electrics for years and these needed lots of work. By making sure they are aware and getting that confirmed before saves a lot of time .

Charge for EICRs upfront , Charge for materials upfront , if the customers smells fishy then take a 50% deposit for the work upfront

Too many chancers out there these days who want to 'renegotiate' the invoice once the work is complete

OP take them to court , non payers are worse than dodgy people

I've had similar experiences myself many times, for much higher amounts on occasion.

Follow the advice been given so far, however, be prepared for possible disappointment also. Most importantly learn from this experience and apply measures that will help to avoid this situation in the future.

Unfortunately some folk are just a**e holes.

9 times out of 10 they will fold and pay up.

lets face it, so many people "with money" are actually up to their chins in debt for all the fancy things they have to show others how rich they are.

if they loose, and they likely will if you have sent invoices for work done in good faith, then the following will happen to them.

A CCJ (County Court Judgement) will be made against them that gives them 30 days to pay you both the original invoices plus any expenses you have incurred trying to get the money.

This will mean the following for there lifestyle.

Mortgage interest will go up because the good deals are not available for people with a CCJ
credit card payments will go up for the same reason (you can no longer switch to a better deal)

the new Jag that they were about to sign the paperwork for will no longer be coming because the credit company will not provide it.
the list goes on, from household bills to holidays and mobile phones.

anyone who runs a life on credit is ---- (another word for poo) scared of a CCJ
your 400 is nothing compared to the other things they may loose out on.

Last edited:
I pointed out the price is for all the work I did before the inspection and that I was being generous for not charging for those. She seemed ok with that but two months have since passed and not had any response to two reminders, so now working out what to do next.
As she clearly doesn't want to pay I would send an invoice for the EICR's and then when that is not paid make a claim for the lot.

With the offer of a payment of £60, if it does materialise be careful how you accept it, if payment is made direct to your bank account I would push the payment back if you do accept it make sure you you make it known that it has been accepted as a part payment "without prejudice", the part payment thing or I'll pay you what I think it is worth is a stunt that solicitors and others in the legal profession use and can put them on a very embarassing sticky wicket if you know how to hit back

As she clearly doesn't want to pay I would send an invoice for the EICR's and then when that is not paid make a claim for the lot.

With the offer of a payment of £60, if it does materialise be careful how you accept it, if payment is made direct to your bank account I would push the payment back if you do accept it make sure you you make it known that it has been accepted as a part payment "without prejudice", the part payment thing or I'll pay you what I think it is worth is a stunt that solicitors and others in the legal profession use and can put them on a very embarassing sticky wicket if you know how to hit back
Spot on, send her the bill for the EICR’s on top you’ve offered and provided you’re professional services for the cheek of her not willing to pay make sure you charge the going rate of your services she won’t have a leg to stand on and you should be paid for the rate recommended don’t back down ?

Is her company a limited company

Check her company out on the Companies House website and some of the other sites across the internet to see how viable it is
Get everything you have done invoiced on terms of payment within 7 Days
When they are not paid take action
If all else fails seek a winding up order on her company to stop the winding up order she would have to pay you

Reply to Customer not paying in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net