Discuss Customer/price moan!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danielson_39

Just quoted £260 for a consumer unit change £100 to allow for board tails etc £160 for me for the day to change over and test etc, the lady over the phone was not best pleased and accused me of being over the top!? Where as I see it as being competitive! What more do these people want....blood!

£260.00 for a board change + tails and she thinks that is over priced.

Does she realise that you will doing extensive tests, complying with BS 7671, and the dreaded Part P??

Walk away mate

£260 is cheap anyway. let her get benny from the pub, then she can't come crying to you when her house burns down.

Exactly! Explained everything to her before hand, think her gripe is she only wants a new circuit running in for new cooker so priced that separate £70 but the board is just rewirables with no rcd protection, I've told her I won't install the circuit without the board change, I don't even want it now it's not worth it lol

Could you not keep costs down and just RCD protect the work you are doing? I know its frustrating when your making the install safer.. On the other hand id persoanlly walk.. Its them kind of jobs i find they are a nightmare to get paid from

Assuming its a 10way+ twin RCD board £260 is very cheap. Minimum I ever quote is £340.
When someone rings up to moan about the price there is a very simple answer..."have you had a cheaper quote?"
If "yes" then "well go with it then"
If "No" then "F**k off"
Now wether you were right in telling her she HAS to have a CU change in order to add another circuit is another matter....

Cant say I like all this advice about walking away from jobs mind
Im busy as hell but I never walk away from a job. If it looks messy I just price myself out of it.

Thats well cheap mate.Let them get the polish spark from the pub who will do it for £50.When she phones back in a couple of weeks saying her house has burnt down charge her 3 grand for a full rewire and throw in a new board for nothing

£260 for a consumer unit change that is very cheap what if you get any faults in the original wiring. I always charge £400 and haven't lost any yet. I have got one to do now my price is £420 and the other electricians price was £715.

all in days work, dealing and wheeling with this... people have right to question a price , im sure your not all flustered when she asks you..

Cant say I like all this advice about walking away from jobs mind
Im busy as hell but I never walk away from a job. If it looks messy I just price myself out of it.

You get some customers that want you to do the work just not at the price you want then you do have to walk away even though you have priced yourself out. Have had a few like that over the years

Il start subbing you at that price ... you charge me that and il charge the going rate to the customer .... we both happy as you get the work and i sit back and retire early ;).

Should be charging 350 - 450 for a basic change, your confidence, customer relations and communication skills will ensure you get the job.... if a bodgit can charge over 700quid just because he's good with the old sales approach then a legit sparky should be able to charge the going rate no problem...... i dont advertise and 100% of my work is word of mouth and ive loads on at the moment.

There are always customers who will moan at a quote. I had a couple last week who looked like they were going to cry when I recommended a new board for a similar job. In the end I went with a standalone RCD and new main bonding for £100.

Reply to Customer/price moan!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net