Discuss Customer tonight wants me to replace rewire able fuses with plug in MCBS. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nisioptimum

Been to a job where a young couple want to replace their white sockets and light switches with chrome finished. I took a look at their CU and it is a wylex re-wireable fused board with separate RCD covering all circuits. It then became clear they had no idea what a rewardable fuse actually was! They have moved in about 4 weeks ago and did not know what type of fuses they had. They said they had wondered where the black switch was on their fuses to turn them back on. They do not want (or can not afford)the extra expense of CU change and I think that the plugin MCBs would be safer. Mainly because as I would seriously worry about how they would use a re-wireable fuse. Good fun nearly as funny as when the wife asked one of the kids to get her a cassette from the cupboard completely blank look followed by "what's a cassette"

Been to a job where a young couple want to replace their white sockets and light switches with chrome finished. I took a look at their CU and it is a wylex re-wireable fused board with separate RCD covering all circuits. It then became clear they had no idea what a rewardable fuse actually was! They have moved in about 4 weeks ago and did not know what type of fuses they had. They said they had wondered where the black switch was on their fuses to turn them back on. They do not want (or can not afford)the extra expense of CU change and I think that the plugin MCBs would be safer. Mainly because as I would seriously worry about how they would use a re-wireable fuse. Good fun nearly as funny as when the wife asked one of the kids to get her a cassette from the cupboard completely blank look followed by "what's a cassette"

I've no idea what a rewardable fuse is either.Is it another CEF promotion?

Have you put in a price for a new CU change?

What makes you think the old 3036 board NEEDS replacing ? Fair enough if it does need it, but you can't quote for jobs that don't need doing.

Plug in mcb's would be a worthwhile upgrade possibly,but unless they are having fuse blowing problems why bother?
I did a CU change a few weeks ago..(customer request)...a white 70's wylex board.And it was apparent from the appearance of the fusewires/carriers that not one had ever blown in 40 odd years!

I would just advise them to save up for a CU change. Give them a price and see what happens. Don't really see the point in 'upgrading' to plug-in MCBs, seems a bit like throwing good money after bad to me. How's the wiring in the rest of the house?

no...and i`m sure i dont either...

if i have a guess...and i get it right...do i get a prize?

I'm changing a 4 way rewires ble next week at customer request. I did the prework survey this week and every fuse had been doubled up and a pain in the --- to get the conductors back in after removing them.

I say to people with these old boards, it works and is not dangerous as such but a new one would save your life hopefully and mean its easier to flick back on etc etc. I don't make out they are dangerous, just advise them of the benefits of a nice modern board.

Id be more concerned that there is no cpc on lighting circuits if installation is old enough for 3036's good chance they might not be if so no nice shiny new switches or light fittings ;)

Plug in mcb's would be a worthwhile upgrade possibly,but unless they are having fuse blowing problems why bother?
I did a CU change a few weeks ago..(customer request)...a white 70's wylex board.And it was apparent from the appearance of the fusewires/carriers that not one had ever blown in 40 odd years!
eh?...

if they are having fuse blowing problems then changing fuse types is going to cure it?

Maybe just give them a card of fuse wire and some instruction on how to use it.

It could be argued that if you change it all to plug in MCB's then you would need to test and inspect the install anyway.

TBH I don't see anything wrong with the first option it would be how I'd approach it. :)

Maybe just give them a card of fuse wire and some instruction on how to use it.

It could be argued that if you change it all to plug in MCB's then you would need to test and inspect the install anyway.

TBH I don't see anything wrong with the first option it would be how I'd approach it. :)
definately loop as the characteristics have been altered...

for the better mind....

Reply to Customer tonight wants me to replace rewire able fuses with plug in MCBS. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net