Discuss customer wants lights on at dusk till 1am and then switch to pir sensor till dawn in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

East1

Hi new on here looking for a bit of advice. I can find pir sensors that will allow lights to come on and stay on for a specific amount of time (1-8 hours) and then switch to motion sensor till dawn but not to switch over at a specific time.
Any help gratefully received

Right so when it goes dark the lights come on and stay on ,by using a timer / daylight sensor then switch over to a pir after a set time by the timer then switch off at dawn and switch back on via the timer / day light sensor ,dont think they make one when i need this sort of thing i make it up myself

He could just have a simple timer switch that switches on from dusk till 1am and also have a seperate PIR fitted. I cant see that it has to 'switch over' to a PIR at 1am, this just makes it complicated. The PIR can be working all the time during dusk-1am but it wont matter as the light will already be on because of the timer. At 1am timer goes off, and the PIR takes over.

Something I drew in the past:

View attachment Timer and PIR.pdf

and up yours Hippy :grin:

It was a bit like that wasn't it MDJ! Made me smile :biggrin: Reckon he was typing as I was.... Just you wait... I'll get a thanks AND a like for my hard work within the next 2 minutes.... bet you a pint!

I never looked at your drawing because it opened sideways and I couldn't see it properly steve, but I would have given you a thanks for it anyway.

Not too great on computers Mike! Thats why I always draw the diagrams.. never could work out how to get a PDF to turn around!

Not too great on computers Mike! Thats why I always draw the diagrams.. never could work out how to get a PDF to turn around!
save it to your pc, then open it and go to the tool bar where it says rotate, then when you get it to where you want it save again and rename, then the new file should upload straight.

save it to your pc, then open it and go to the tool bar where it says rotate, then when you get it to where you want it save again and rename, then the new file should upload straight.

Thanks Mike but that doesn't seem to work. I can rotate it, then save it under a different name and then when I open it up its still sideways! Never mind, doesn't really matter.

customer wants lights on at dusk till 1am and then switch to pir sensor till ...

A Sangamo solar timeswitch with early off function will bring the lights on at dusk and can be set to go off at 1am, they keep track of dusk by some mechanical wizardry. Also they keep track of daylight saving time by the same wizardry so they are a reliable fit and forget soloution.
Then just a standard PIR with the switch wired in parallel with the timeswitch.
Job done!

A Ferrari is cheaper than a Sangamo latitude timer.

The original job is quite simple. It just needs a moment or two to think about logically. It took me all of 10 seconds.

To pile on the agony, its been the subject of a previous thread. I was feeling generous then and did a drawing for it. Which I still have.

Reply to customer wants lights on at dusk till 1am and then switch to pir sensor till dawn in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net