Discuss Customer wiring own electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree A EICR cannot be used to certify new works, the problem with an EIC is it should not be issued if there are defects with the installation 100% of the installation should be tested and for a new installation there should be no limitations.
There is no way i would tick alot of the boxes the boxes in section 8.0 of the report as you just don't know what this chap has done, could be anything burried under the floorboards or plaster.

Personally I'd leave him to carry out a EIC he has 30 years experience, do your EICR if there are any defects you still get paid plus you can charge for correcting them.

Why can't an EIC be issued? The model form for the EIC allows for seperate designer, installer and tester, you can complete the EIC as tester only with the customers details for designer and installer. What you can't do is notify it under your own scheme registration.

But you know that the customer will try to use the EICR I place of an EIC which is clearly wrong.
What would you put as the reason for carrying out the EICR? Or the estimated age of the installation? If you put the correct age of the installation it will be pretty obvious to anyone that something dodgy is going on.

There IS something dodgy going on though!

Not often I disagree with you Dave, but I wouldn't be doing an EIC for work I didn't carry out and I certainly wouldn't notify either.

In my opinion it's not new work to me, it's an existing installation. In this instance I always offer to carry out an EICR. It's up to the customer what they do with it, but usually that will satisfy LABC in this area at least.

It's not right though really. If we have to have schemes etc it should be enforced, otherwise why do we all pay through the nose to be part of one? LABC should insist it is rewired and an EIC issued from the registered sparks. This would only have to happen a few times and chancer builders/kitchen fitters/homeowners etc etc would soon be scared off!

It seems that a lot of L.B.C. are happy with an EICR. I bet if it was construction and it got covered up they would want it opened up for inspection.

That is because most LABC's don't fully understand it ether.
I was talking with a building inspector the other day and he said they had had a days training on part p. A day! He said it was almost a waste of a day and most of the inspectors that went just saw it as a free tea and a feed day out!
Really doesn't seem right somehow does it!!

I'm an electrician with 20+yrs experience, but I'm not in a scheme as I don't do domestic work. I re-wired my own house as part of a total refurbishment and simply sent in the certificates to BC paid the money and that's that.

If the OP's client has the relevant qualifications then it should be no problem for him to do the same. Maybe he would just like a second opinion to double check his own work !

Hey guys
Spoke to napit today and they advised to contact building control to see if they would accept an EICR and then he would have to sort part p himself. I spoke to them and they wouldn’t accept this, so I now have to do an EIC and get the customer to sign the design and construction part and just carry out the inspection and testing. The customer will then have to go through building control himself to get his part p. Spoke to the customer and told him the situation and his response was straight away ‘oh just leave it, I will sort it myself’. May have had a lucky escape there.

The customer will likely end up doing nothing....

Or after some digging will likely find a sparks to give him his part pee for same cash in hand

Either way it’s no longer your issue , which is probably a good ting

Hey guys
Spoke to napit today and they advised to contact building control to see if they would accept an EICR and then he would have to sort part p himself. I spoke to them and they wouldn’t accept this, so I now have to do an EIC and get the customer to sign the design and construction part and just carry out the inspection and testing. The customer will then have to go through building control himself to get his part p. Spoke to the customer and told him the situation and his response was straight away ‘oh just leave it, I will sort it myself’. May have had a lucky escape there.
You can't sign for Inspection and Testing without having been involved with the job throughout. How could you possibly have inspected any concealed cables etc.?

You can't sign for Inspection and Testing without having been involved with the job throughout. How could you possibly have inspected any concealed cables etc.?
Good point. Would you not be able to highlight what can’t be inspected in the limitations section to cover your a**e

There is a 3rd party certification scheme run by Napit and Stroma (I think).
From what I understand, you have to be registered with them to conduct 3rd party notifications, and the ‘certificate’ issued is some kind of EICR.
Stroma allow you to add 3rd party notification to your registration (it’s not automatic) and you have to be quite involved in the job from the start. Their website states the following:
Responsibilities of a Third Party Inspector
In order to carry out a third party inspection in a compliant manner, you must be in attendance to witness the work done at the 1st fix and 2nd fix stages of the installation. You must have witnessed the installation work and have confidence that it is both safe and installed to the required standard. You must then complete a Stroma Third Party Certificate and send this to Stroma Certification prior to making a third party notification.

Why is it not possible for the local authority building control to come and inspect his work, our LABC charge about £250 or if he has not already notified them that he has started £350 for a retrospective inspection. Might be worth asking your LABC if this is something they do.

How are the Napit/Stroma 3rd Party certifiers covered, if they’re only testing and notifying the work without seeing how it was installed? Do Napit/Stroma exempt their 3rd party notifier contractors from any prosecution etc?
If the customer has been doing their wiring. I would be respectful and decline, once you start wiring or changing anything you own it then. Good luck and some jobs you just have to walk away no money is worth your reputation

Reply to Customer wiring own electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net