Discuss Customer wiring own electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hey guys
Went to a customer today who wanted some electrical work looking at. Turned up and he showed me a granny annexe he had wired himself. (He has assured me he has 30years experience in the industry) he now wants it testing and certifying and a part p certificate issuing. I’m not comfortable with putting my name to the install and doing an electrical installation certificate. What would you do in this situation and what are his options.

I can’t see how he couldn’t have notified building control of the works as it’s a two story building. Do you reckon they would accept an EICR? Could be worth a phone call.

Unless you were involved with the job you can’t really adopt it as your own...
I know people have do taken on near complete jobs and have seen this done but it’s not strictly correct

The guy should have really notified building control ahead of time not after the fact

Would an EICR be the only way forward now as I can’t see any contractor signing the work off as their own. Would building control send someone out to do the relevant tests to get their part p certificate. Not sure what’s best to advice him going forward apart from stop being a tight arse and getting a spark in to begin with or if he is a spark get his own registration.

"I'm sorry that's not a service I offer or am interested in offering"

Is my usual professional alternative to "Would you turn up at a restaurant and hand the chef some spuds and a steak you cheeky twunt ?"

There is a 3rd party certification scheme run by Napit and Stroma (I think).
From what I understand, you have to be registered with them to conduct 3rd party notifications, and the ‘certificate’ issued is some kind of EICR.

Just quote for a EICR, if he accepts the quote just do that.
It's not your problem if the councill accept it or not, he needs to sort that out for himself.
You can't sign it off so that's a non starter.

From what I understand, you have to be registered with them to conduct 3rd party notifications, and the ‘certificate’ issued is some kind of EICR.

Yes

There is an option to employ a sparks to act as a 3rd party when it comes to notifying Diy electrical work.
However this should be done during the project so the sparks gets to see the wiring as well as the finished job.

This OP sounds like the job is all finished with no way to see the actual wiring.

You could in theory drop off all the accessories and do a thorough eicr and notify the job as your own , if the money is right

Every other certificate apart from an eicr asks for designer, installer and tester. You can’t put your name to the first two.
Probably why the others are certificates and an eicr is only a report.

Agree with above. Do it as an eicr and it’s up to the customer to get his P

Just think about what would happen if you fully signed it off and there’s an incident soon.
Creeks and paddles spring to mind

You can't even go down that path now it's too late.
The only test and inspection is an EICR.
Even with the EIC and he signs off design and construction parts you can do the testing but no inspection part. It' what you can't see.

I take photos of my 1st fix so possibly the guy has done the same..
If not floor boards will need to be lifted for inspection.
This may well satisfy building control for the installation methods.
Design is easy enough to verify along with testing too.
Can’t do an EICR on a brand new installation that has never been certified to start with

I take photos of my 1st fix so possibly the guy has done the same..
If not floor boards will need to be lifted for inspection.
This may well satisfy building control for the installation methods.
Design is easy enough to verify along with testing too.
Can’t do an EICR on a brand new installation that has never been certified to start with

Unfortunately that's how most BC offices approach the regularisation process.

How are the Napit/Stroma 3rd Party certifiers covered, if they’re only testing and notifying the work without seeing how it was installed? Do Napit/Stroma exempt their 3rd party notifier contractors from any prosecution etc?

Reply to Customer wiring own electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock