Discuss Cut through the sheathing of cooker cable. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Curing the floorboard in room and the cooker cable that runs through a notch in the joist was cut. Through the grey cable and the tips of the brown and blue wires. Just enough to see the copper core.

whats best to do in this situation as obviously I don’t want to replace the whole cable

Curing the floorboard in room and the cooker cable that runs through a notch in the joist was cut. Through the grey cable and the tips of the brown and blue wires. Just enough to see the copper core.

whats best to do in this situation as obviously I don’t want to replace the whole cable
is there any slack in the cable?

easiest solution, without cutting cable, would be to stripp back the outer sheath, wrap each conductor with some self-amalgamating tape over the cuts (several turns), then wrap the whole lot in some more tape so that the cloured cores are completely coverd. this assumes no damage to the copper core, in which case cutting and jointing would be required, if in doubt, get a local sparks to fix. whatever the case, isolate from supply before hand.

Urged! So I assume it’s the clamp type connections inside a wago box or similar? Can u get the clamp type for a 40amp
Wago connectors and the right box would be the right way to go, not sure if they make the size you rquire, try google and see what it says, I was thinking of a resin filled joint but I don't know it they constitute MF or not, good luck in your search.

Wago connectors and the right box would be the right way to go, not sure if they make the size you rquire, try google and see what it says, I was thinking of a resin filled joint but I don't know it they constitute MF or not, good luck in your search.
Ok so let’s go back to self almagat tape. What exact is it? It’s on description online non tacky? So how does it stick? What’s the difference between that and the normal electrical insulation tape

Self amalgamating tape does just that , the surfaces react with each other and form one continues moulded joint . You have less chance of any ingress of damp and other nasties , as opposed to insulation tape ; especially the cheap tat that is common now.

Self amalgamating tape won't start coming unwrapped over the years either like insulating tape often does x

Self amalgamating tape does just that , the surfaces react with each other and form one continues moulded joint . You have less chance of any ingress of damp and other nasties , as opposed to insulation tape ; especially the cheap tat that is common now.
Couldn't have put it better.

Self amalgamating tape stretches and has a backing tape which has to be removed. When you apply it you stretch it until it is about half its width and wrap it around the conductor. The tape combines with its self to be one rubbery blob that cant be unwrapped (self amalgamating) finish with two layers of good quality insulation tape applied with a slight stretch.

Reply to Cut through the sheathing of cooker cable. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock