Discuss Cutting 5 inch ventilation ducting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve got to install flat and round 5 inch pvc ducting on quite a large scale, I’m currently cutting it with a grinder but it kicks up a lot of debris and it’s hard to get a square cut, hack saw is better but slow. I reckon I need a cordless chop saw. Anyone else got one for cutting ducting and can recommend it ? Thanks

Wrap masking tape around to get a line to cut to and use a blunt cross-cut handsaw. Really quick, and cheap because I bet you've got an old saw at home. I keep my old wood saws for exactly this purpose; and it works on most diameters of pipe.

If you've got a lot to do, it would be worth rigging up something to help you clamp the pipe to something solid while you cut it.

Wrap masking tape around to get a line to cut to and use a blunt cross-cut handsaw. Really quick, and cheap because I bet you've got an old saw at home. I keep my old wood saws for exactly this purpose; and it works on most diameters of pipe.

If you've got a lot to do, it would be worth rigging up something to help you clamp the pipe to something solid while you cut it.
just get diane abbot to hold it in her gob. 2 birds killed with 1 stone.

Get a chop saw if you're doing a lot of ducting, we used one on a large scale apartment scheme that had MVHR in every room. It works well on flat channel but you need to make a jig for round, we fashioned a mitre block shape to hold the round ducting in place. You will need a tct blade as plastic can be more abrasive than you think. I wore a face-shield to avoid all the bit of plastic flying about.

Thanks for your replies. I’m installing mvhr units on a large scale so need something that will give me a quick clean cut. I’m looking for recommendations on cordless mitre saws really . Thanks

Reply to Cutting 5 inch ventilation ducting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock