Discuss cutting chip board floors and pipe/cable detector in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am going to be cutting some chip board floors with my circular saw and to be honest when working on domestic propertys i have a total
fear of cutting through pipes/cables underneath,even after setting the circular saw.I want to purchase a second hand detector and the ones i have had in the past have been about as reliable as draper drill any got any tips and recomend a 2nd hand detector to get of ebay

Richard

Hi supersparxs

i will do just that and then just lightly finish the cut with my floorboard saw but i still worry

how do you deal with floor boards when you are rewiring or just pulling a new feed cable through do you just cut circular holes each side of the joist you are trying to get through ?

how do you deal with floor boards when you are rewiring or just pulling a new feed cable through do you just cut circular holes each side of the joist you are trying to get through ?

Hi
, yes I use this method alot. Then batten out and refit.

A circular hole in the floor board?

Hi imago

the title of the post thread states chipboard, I assume he is referring to newer, chipboard installs with large sheets of flooring. Not tongue & groove floorboard.

In which case, no, I would lift a section of board :laugh:

spartycus

yes i am talking about loft boards ( chipboard )

so you lift floorboards if you want to gain access yes

for chipboard floors richard.....a large holesaw...then a 'bearer' in order to fix back.......or you can get a holecutter from armeg that cuts a shoulder into the chipboard....then you fit a plastic access plate into the hole when you'v finished......only thing is though ...is those access plates arn't cheap......

Im with spartykus, Lift the whole sheet. That way you only have to set the depth to cut the tongue off and no chance of touching pipes. It goes back better when you have finished also. I also keep some old wornout screwdrivers to punch the nails down or use a small 10mm core cutter on the screws that wont budge or lost their heads.

screws that wont budge......we just get the rattler on em......they soon budge then....

Have found some that have got wet and rusted the head and just round off but as you say the impact driver sorts most.
I still dont understand the builders that still use nails on them, thats not the gun type but plain hammer jobbies. It makes them squeek like f###

Have found some that have got wet and rusted the head and just round off but as you say the impact driver sorts most.
I still dont understand the builders that still use nails on them, thats not the gun type but plain hammer jobbies. It makes them squeek like f###
could be mice...lol....

Hi Richard,
I thought you meant the modern 8' x 2' (2400 x 600) tongue and grove floor boards.
but it works just the same with 3' x 1' (900 x 300) loft boards, but oviously check the thickness of the boards

Hi
, yes I use this method alot. Then batten out and refit.

and making good as Spartykus says battens to make good

Richard

glen

so if you are rewiring you would use the holecutter and not lift boardS
sorry richard....been away from the pc mate......well the issue with these holecutters with the plastic access covers is the mounting costs of these access covers.......and as if on a rewire ....your going to need multiple points of entry under the floor....you`d be better with the circular saw....just set the depth about 1mm less than the thickness of the chipboard....you will find that it snaps easily enough and of course...you can dictate the size of the access hole you make......

Last edited:

Reply to cutting chip board floors and pipe/cable detector in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock