Discuss cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky-s-w

Hi,

i realise the ilegality of cutting the security tags on meters/fuses etc, and dont expect people to identify themselves as offenders, so Hypothetically
is it practical to call/arrange for the relevent energy supplier to come out every time you change a fuse board/upgrade meter tails?

i have a friend :wink_smile: who has in the past possably cut meter tags in order to change the meter tails, as I (i mean he) didnt have time to mess around contacting suppliers.
do most other contractors do this?, i cant imagine every single electrician would get these tags propperly removed every time. Hypothetically.

Talk to the customer, explain the legal requirements for a temporary disconnection and call the appropriate supplier to arrange a suitable date for this to occur, no problem.

If there is an emergency situation things may be different.

Hi,

i realise the ilegality of cutting the security tags on meters/fuses etc, and dont expect people to identify themselves as offenders, so Hypothetically
is it practical to call/arrange for the relevent energy supplier to come out every time you change a fuse board/upgrade meter tails?

i have a friend :wink_smile: who has in the past possably cut meter tags in order to change the meter tails, as I (i mean he) didnt have time to mess around contacting suppliers.
do most other contractors do this?, i cant imagine every single electrician would get these tags propperly removed every time. Hypothetically.

I hope you've got your tin hat ready bonny lad ..... you're gonna need it !! ............(Hypothetically of course) :2guns:

If this topic isnt a can of worms i dont know what is lol.
Would love to share my opinions / experiences on this matter but i doubt the forum can handle it :)

Around here (SSE) we are issued with temporary seals. We can cut the seal, remove fuse and reseal afterwards with temporary seal. In theory the proceedure is you notify SSE before hand, in practice when you do ... they just tell you to do it and call them once you're done. They will want details of the customer (to arrange to come and reseal) and your scheme membership details.

After call out to a customer who said there electrics were intermittent I got a lecture from DNO after cutting seal and removing neutral and phase cables from their meter after it was heavily smoking due to a poor connection, it was either this or a fire, they agreed I did the right thing off the record but still went through the speal over the phone ten minites after I did it and contacted them. If I had stood there and waited for them to arrive, the next day by the way, the whole incomer would have gone up, possibly the house as well, I would have regretted not using common sense, which seems to get lost theses days with all the regulation and red tape.

dont get me wrong, i do contact energy suppliers usualy, time and customer cotentment willing. just very anoying waiting for some kid with possibly less experience and electrical qualifications than most contractors, to turn up.

After call out to a customer who said there electrics were intermittent I got a lecture from DNO after cutting seal and removing neutral and phase cables from their meter after it was heavily smoking due to a poor connection, it was either this or a fire, they agreed I did the right thing off the record but still went through the speal over the phone ten minites after I did it and contacted them. If I had stood there and waited for them to arrive, the next day by the way, the whole incomer would have gone up, possibly the house as well, I would have regretted not using common sense, which seems to get lost theses days with all the regulation and red tape.

You actually phoned them ?:hurray:

For actions above and beyond the call of duty, you are hereby awarded the xxxxforum Biff55 "seal" of approval

biff55 will provide a link in his next post

Last edited:

Reply to cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net