Discuss Cutting seals and pulling fuses, REALLY SORRY TO START THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

benieb

Hi,

I work at a local council and our NIC assesment has brought up the age old problem. I know what should be done and what i have done thousands of times in the past, but some of our operatives are being funny about it.

They are refusing to pull fuses as its "ILLEGAL"

I want to put out a program where we fit double ploe isolators to every meter. My question is if anyone knows of a company that are legaly allowed to cut the seals and fit an isolator for me. I was thinking someone like SSE. This needs to be done correctly as we are under the microscope for red tape at the council.

any help would be greatfully recived.

I currently work for a council and we have not been permitted to do this for some time. We are currently using eon they provide us with 2 men going round fitting isolators and down grading mains fuses

SSE do allow the seal to be removed (if there is one) and replace it with a plastic seal.

Where I find a main fuse without a seal, I have some seals I bought off flea bay which I use to "seal" the DNO fuse.

Why not take a slightly more commercial approach and talk to the DNO in your area about doing some training for your own internal team to be able to do it with their blessing? I'm sure if there's money changing hands it'll be at least worthy of a chat, and cheaper to you than contracting it out.

Working on a consumer unit replacement programme for a local council at the moment and we have been given permission to cut seals as there is a programme of Isolator instalments too.

This is written permission from the Supply Authority.

Hi,

I work at a local council and our NIC assesment has brought up the age old problem. I know what should be done and what i have done thousands of times in the past, but some of our operatives are being funny about it.

They are refusing to pull fuses as its "ILLEGAL"

I want to put out a program where we fit double ploe isolators to every meter. My question is if anyone knows of a company that are legaly allowed to cut the seals and fit an isolator for me. I was thinking someone like SSE. This needs to be done correctly as we are under the microscope for red tape at the council.

any help would be greatfully recived.

First off, I think your operatives are right to refuse to pull the fuses, you cannot expect someone who works for you to carry out any illegal activities, you can guarantee if the sh*t hit the fan it would get blamed on them.
Very different kettle of fish if your self employed, you take your own risks etc. and after all the risk of anything bad happening is very small even negligible.

If you are in SSE area they may let you cut seals pull fuses etc. with p-ermission In fact they may even let you come onto one of they're day courses to be authorised to pull fuses (at your expense). The way forward is talk to your local DNO I think :)

Reply to Cutting seals and pulling fuses, REALLY SORRY TO START THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock