Discuss Daddy and/or mummy job hunting for their child in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nigel

I seem to see more and more posts either on Facebook, Indeed or Linkedin in which parents are doing the legwork for their child in respects of looking for work.

When did this start happening? As an employer I can think of nothing worse than a parent approaching me instead of their child. To me it sends out all the wrong signals.

What are others’ thoughts?

I did networking with friends and customers to locate companies my son could apply to ........ he did the applications and the interviews ...
every little helps

We like to think of ourselves as "interested" parents

Schools do absolutely nothing to help kids with this stuff these days.

agreed. schools just want then to go to uni to do a useless degree,like media studies or eastern europe political studies.

I did networking with friends and customers to locate companies my son could apply to ........ he did the applications and the interviews ...
every little helps

We like to think of ourselves as "interested" parents

How old was he?

Social media has opened up a whole new world. So people are just optimising the best they can, its not much different from a friend asking for a job for a friend or relative which still goes on.

It has been going on for years, it is nothing new.
In the mining communities it was common for the Son to follow in their fathers footsteps.

When I was at school if you didn't have the means to go to university then they certainly weren't going to help you with anything else.
You could either go and work with your dad (or one of his mates) or get a job in a shop, or maybe a restaurant.

Nowadays school leavers have more freedom to follow the career path they want instead of doing whatever they can get; if professional networking had existed online when we were school leavers then it would have been used for the same thing back then as well.

I am only 36 but I would never have dreamt of my mum accompanying me to anything to do with work. In fact I would find it embarressing.

Now an introduction is different - “Hi Steve, this is my son Neil and he is interested in becoming an electrician”. Then it should be handed over to the son or daughter.

I have had parents attend interviews with their 18 year old son and I cannot believe what I am seeing. 18 years old and cannot speak for themselves.

To me this says a lot about how much said person can think for themselves.

A lot of the time, a child's first job is with a friend of the family, so there is a little bit of parental bartering going on.

We gently pushed our daughter into going into the local pub herself with her CV and asking if their was any jobs going - she did the legwork, as we refused.
She's been there 18 months now, waitressing. Her confidence has grown since she started, and now she's 18, gap year that she is funding herself and applying for uni to start 2019.

The reason for "non job" degrees as you put them is that they have to be generic for a wide range of possible career paths.

Social media has opened up a whole new world. So people are just optimising the best they can, its not much different from a friend asking for a job for a friend or relative which still goes on.

A huge difference in asking for your child and attending interviews or posting on FB asking for work.

A lot of the time, a child's first job is with a friend of the family, so there is a little bit of parental bartering going on.

We gently pushed our daughter into going into the local pub herself with her CV and asking if their was any jobs going - she did the legwork, as we refused.
She's been there 18 months now, waitressing. Her confidence has grown since she started, and now she's 18, gap year that she is funding herself and applying for uni to start 2019.

The reason for "non job" degrees as you put them is that they have to be generic for a wide range of possible career paths.

This is what I want to see. A young adult facing up to reality. Great to see it worked.

At 16 my son got an interview at the local Coop ........... the interviewing Manager commented that:

Lots of applicants don't turn up on time
Lots of applicants don't dress to "impress"
Lots of applicants obviously had their application forms completed by their parents .....

Lots of parents don't give a txss.

PS: He got the job and worked there for 3 years - gave him so much experience of dealing with people ........ and I'm sure that helped him with his interviews this year.

My old man arranged my first job for me. Had a word with the newsagent and there I was, picking up my papers at 6am aged 13, keeping fit and learning a work ethic. Who did the interfering git think he was eh ?

Clearly I am not talking about 13 year olds.

Reply to Daddy and/or mummy job hunting for their child in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net