Discuss daft question - undercupboard lighting in kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The General

Hi all, sorry to ask a daft question, but I'm still pretty new to all this and want to get it right!

Client wants some undercupboard lighting in the kitchen, but doesn't want me taking off tiles, drilling holes, or taking up floorboards above kitchen to access lighting circuit.....so it'll be surface run cable from a fused spur (3A) on one of the kitchen sockets.
(T5 fluoro tubes designed to be strung together in sequence, just plug'n'play no wiring needed)

But it occurred to me that I could just terminate the flex in a 3A 3pin plug instead, and simply plug it into one of the sockets.

Assuming it's fine to do that, I'm trying to get my head around what paperwork/testing I need to do!?
Effectively I'm doing the equivalent of just plugging in a table lamp! - 3 pin plug, and then securing cables to minimise hazards.

But is it notifiable work because it's in a kitchen?
If I've got to do a minor works certificate, what test results do I make-> results for the ring which the 3pin plug is plugging into?
Even though I've not altered a circuit, would the fixing of cables constitute an 'addition' to the ring circuit?

In my head I'm thinking that this is a simple DIY job that they could have done themselves, so why do we need any certification at all!?
But I don't want to get in trouble for not doing things that i should.....

comments please.... thank you!

if you put it on a plug, then, IMO, it's not notifiable and no cert. is needed.

if you put it on a plug, then, IMO, it's not notifiable and no cert. is needed.

Ace! that's what I was hoping ;-) thank you.

Would you still do any test readings at the socket just to be sure it's alright?
(like Zs, RCD tests)

not trying to make work for myself! just overly cautious!

well, it.s not necessary, but you would prove that the circuit you are plugging into was safe.

As telectrix says not notifiable if put on a plug. It would classed as an appliance, Imagine having to notify every thing in a kitchen that had a plugtop on it!!!! Hang on that sounds like a way of some one to make money from... Watch this space!!

As telectrix says not notifiable if put on a plug. It would classed as an appliance, Imagine having to notify every thing in a kitchen that had a plugtop on it!!!! Hang on that sounds like a way of some one to make money from... Watch this space!!

:innocent: like i said, not trying to make work for myself, but yes, could be a nice money spinner.
I expect there'll be an 18th Edition 'Plugging stuff in' qualification we can do soon....

Reply to daft question - undercupboard lighting in kitchen in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net