Discuss Dali Lighting System - Anyone any knowledge? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Following on from my Helvar thread!

I have what I believe is a DALI lighting system (Made by Helvar), 12 channels fed from a board with all switching controlled by Cat 5 to a central computer. Helvar are not playing ball and will not supply me with the software necessary to alter the system and want to charge an extortionate amount of money to get one of their 'engineers' to visit.

My question is has anyone installed or have knowledge/recommendations of a similar system which I could put into the house using the existing cables?

Ta

Philips do a good DALI system.

You will need a laptop with their software though. Not cheap.

Alternatively I think they do a small handheld device which can program each ballast

Never used Helvar products but there seems to be plenty of documentation and software available if you want to try programming it. The official 'Digidim Toolbox' software is here on the Helvar website and there are plenty of data and guidance documents for download on their site and elsewhere on the web.

What kind of lamps do you want to dim, and what are the existing cables do you have?

As a former Dynalite engineer, I wouldn't go the big commercial system route (DALI, Dynalite, Helvar etc)

Last edited:
I have two Helvar systems installed in two properties but only one router/controller which is shared. The system is now obsolete according to Helvar. We are splitting the two properties so I was hoping to buy a second hand router and program it but Helvar state that the programming software for adding a router is for Helvar Partners only!? Think this may be in the too difficult to do box.

All lighting cables are power only from a control box/dimmer rack to the lights directly with Cat5 cable going from the control box to wall mounted switches/dimmers. I have access to a good network engineer but it seems probably not the software required.

Hello, I live in the Peak District and have a Helvar system that’s gone wrong. Does anyone know a lighting programmer that can do work in this part of the country? Thanks

Reply to Dali Lighting System - Anyone any knowledge? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net