Discuss DALI lighting system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stonsey

Is it me or does it work with some magic and trickery?

I changed a ballast on a Dali system last week and today had to have it programmed in to the system as the new ballast's IP address wasn't recognised by the system.

It seems that the good old fashioned switch will be a thing of the past in a few years time...

The switch will end up being a barcode on the wall, at the approved height of course, mimicked by an I.P address.

Scan the barcode with your IPhone, job done, lights on.

Barcodes will be available in many styles and colours to match the theme of the room.

It'll be RF tags woven into clothes the light then knows your in the room and can tell whether your moving around as it'll probably be able to split the room into zones or something like that lol

all the lights are addressed and if a fault happens like a bulb(sorry lamp) goes out then it comes up on the janitors laptop...when the lights are installed they are all given an address so that they can all be controlled separately or together as a whole room or just above somebody's desk, the lights are usually set up to slowly get brighter or dim at sunrise and sunset, this is so that you don't have all the lights coming on all of a sudden and "startling the poor office workers" also any light that stops functioning even in the back stairs or a cupboard can get changed out instead of not being mentioned to the maintenance people...
These are becoming almost compulsory in all new office and retail buildings as they can turn on all lights in the whole building when the fire alarm goes off....
you will notice if you are in any city centre around 9PM that a whole office building's lights will go out in 3 seconds flat in quick succession floor by floor.......that's a DALI set up....makes sure that all lights go off to save power when the building gets emptied at the end of the day.....and if a fire alarm goes off everything gets turned on...or somebody opens the door and keys in the Alarm keypad, they all come on in the corridors and hallways, and at reception....PIR occupancy sensors switch everything else on....and the toilet lights come on as soon as you move the door handle to open it, and go off soon after you walk out...to save power...

The staff get told - Do Not touch any lighting settings, the building will do it by itself...

It'll be RF tags woven into clothes the light then knows your in the room and can tell whether your moving around as it'll probably be able to split the room into zones or something like that lol

no, it will just be the security computer following your movements around the building using facial recognition via cameras and also voiceprint.......until a relative comes in to visit and it locks them in a room(intruder alert) and calls for what will be by then an armed response team....the future....

on da chukin floor DO IT NOW !!!!! .........I want my mommy :cry_smile:

Systems like this are only really just using old technology in a new way, it's not exactly rocket science and makes a huge amount of sense. In the events lighting world we now have completely wireless intelligent fixtures - powered by internal batteries and controlled by wireless dmx - connect via IP over the web and you can do whatever you want to them from anywhere.

Dali lighting bla bla bla my lights just follow me around already they are real smart light in front of me dark behind me. Suddenly turn around it knows instantly and the light is there these things have been around for a hundred years nothing new here. Modern things are just old things revamped can't beat an old miners light on the head lol

Reply to DALI lighting system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net