Discuss Damaged Hard Drive in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My desktop PC had the blue screen of death the other day, and it kept trying to restart before I realised what was going on. I connected suspect HDD to another PC, and it's not recognised. Did a bit of research on the internet, and decided to open it up to have a look, the platters are scratched. Stupidly, I did not back up any data. There's a few docs & photos on it I would like to recover. I've rang a local shop, who said it would cost anything from £200 upwards, if I'm lucky.

Anybody been in this position who can offer me advice?

Assuming it’s a Windozy formatted drive, I would connect the damaged drive to another computer via a USB adapter. It will save you the ball ache of having to set the drive to either master or slave depending on your computer setup and it’s cable connections. You probably would have to alter the settings in the system bios anyway if your connecting via IDE. There is still a good chance that some of the data can be recovered as long as you don’t format the drive and change it’s file system. If you had the data “RAID 0” across two drives, then you’re screwed anyway, and you might as well give up now. To get the right USB adapter, you will need to know what your drive bus connection IDE, SATA, SCSI etc is?

It's SATA. I've connected the drive to another PC via SATA cable, nothing seen? Done the same with a storage HDD from the damaged PC, and was able to recover all data.

I too learnt my lesson the hard way…lol. Once lost my entire record collection which I had in mp3 format because I’m a t!t. I store all files on a second drive now and once in a while backup that drive with a third drive. The down side of this method is that you will end up with multiple backups of the same thing with very little changes in-between.

I too learnt my lesson the hard way…lol. Once lost my entire record collection which I had in mp3 format because I’m a t!t. I store all files on a second drive now and once in a while backup that drive with a third drive. The down side of this method is that you will end up with multiple backups of the same thing with very little changes in-between.
It's okay, my Des O'Conner collection is safe on a separate HDD. It's me copy of the Wright Brothers’ Flying Machine Patent, I was keen to recover!

it's a good job edison wasn't interested in flying machines or he'd have stolen the patent.

well there is cheap recovery software out there, ive used it £50
but opening up the Hard drive to Air and Dust, i wouldnt hold much hope in saving it

when you put the Hard Drive in another PC, dose it see it in the BIOS
may need turning on to look for it

Last edited by a moderator:
but opening up the Hard drive to Air and Dust, i wouldnt hold much hope in saving it

Think the dust thing is a bit of a smoke screen thing, wouldn't be good to do regularly, but I did just to see if the heads were stuck. They weren't but the platter looks like a vinyl record! Which is a bad thing for me. Not sure if the motor (or what you call it) is still functioning in my HDD. So not sure the software's a goer? Might have a butch in the bios though.

Most computers die from software failure rather than mechanical failure. Therefore the information contained on disks is inaccessible rather than destroyed. It is possible to swap the disks of a hard drive as long as the drive your swapping it to is a like for like. As in the same make and model. If my memory serves me right, IBM years ago as an experiment formatted and overwritten a hard disk nine times and still managed to retrieve 5% of the original data. When you use a software recovery program, you rarely get your files back in the same state as they were originally in. it’s a bit like starting off with the AC/DC version of Thunderstruck and ending up with the Steve'n'Seagulls version…lol.

you can swap the Disc, they dont like to be touched, scratched and shouldnt have dust on them as can affect things.
We are talking fragments of magnetic bumps on it like a Vinal.

Now Hardware is NEVER a 100% .. But if the BIOS cant see then it gets risky, ive never transfert a Hard Drive Disc before but would have to be like for like ie Model.

as for the motor you can feel it going when power up, as normal a smell of it will tell if it is burned out.

the recover software i used got back the whole hard drive Windows and all, i only wanted some of the photos off it
so was some thing IVE DONE .. not READ about from IBM (great JEWISH sorting software company of the sky, gotta love companys that came good after sleeping with the SS)

FIRST THING THO .. is there LIFE

Ok, seen some vids on swapping component parts of HDD, don't think I have a similar old HDD. Wot was the software recovery thing you used?

I used ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR, long time ago 15yr .
Reading the reviews, 50:50 for working and not

http://www.acronis.com/en-gb/business/enterprise-solutions/server-partition-management/

You might want to try a FREE one first, (you can see the Hard Drive in the BISO and the MOTOR is powered right, because if you cant, software cant help)

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/servic...DKfFw3sMilazhSupwrIsZU-0wxkiq2b1jQRoCVBfw_wcB

SeaGate do a brand of recovery, also depeneding on the hard drive maybe under warranty but that wont get the data back, my IBM one died after a year.

Reply to Damaged Hard Drive in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net