• Thread starter LlandrilloSpark
  • Start date

Discuss Dangerous or not?! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening fellas

halfway thru an inspection on a 11 room hotel, found quite a few C1 & C2 but was wondering about this:-

In the main entrance hall there is a "fuse box" about 7ft from the floor level, i use the term fuse box lightly, it contains 5 porcelain 15A fuses, it has no main switch and is fed from a 32A BS3036 6ft below, the "cover" to this unit is wood and maybe original to the building (1894), the cover stays shut with a loose hook of sorts, there is no bus bar cover.

Is this another C1 as there is access to live parts...without a tool?

cheers

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
So you are saying that anyone could reach up, unhook the door and stick their digits on a live busbar?

OP
L

LlandrilloSpark

Wasn't saying anything, was asking for an opinion

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
Evening fellas

halfway thru an inspection on a 11 room hotel, found quite a few C1 & C2 but was wondering about this:-

In the main entrance hall there is a "fuse box" about 7ft from the floor level, i use the term fuse box lightly, it contains 5 porcelain 15A fuses, it has no main switch and is fed from a 32A BS3036 6ft below, the "cover" to this unit is wood and maybe original to the building (1894), the cover stays shut with a loose hook of sorts, there is no bus bar cover.

Is this another C1 as there is access to live parts...without a tool?

cheers
well it could be construed as nothing more than `placing out of reach`....in an area woth unskilled/uninstructed persons....whatever it aint secure is it...so theres barriers n enclosures n all.....

Fin170

Regular EF Member
I'd consider rotting rubber cables in a kindling box a potential fire hazard....are the neutrals fused?

Alternately it could be a display piece, current place Im working in wants one of them put back for show :smile5:

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Reach down Guitarist, reading the post the feeding CU is 1 ft off the ground.
Llandrillo, I think you answered your own question mate, just before you said cheers:)
You're right trev, read it the wrong way.
Llan, you definitely answered your own question there mate :)

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
I'd consider rotting rubber cables in a kindling box a potential fire hazard....are the neutrals fused?

Alternately it could be a display piece, current place Im working in wants one of them put back for show :smile5:
i had one kicking about a while back....little 4 way with a glass paneled door on the front....the fuse carriers were long, thin white porcelane....probably dated from the 20s-early 30s.....i think i slung it though together with other crap.....

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
"it has no main switch and is fed from a 32A BS3036 6ft below, the "cover" to this unit is wood and maybe original to the building (1894), the cover stays shut with a loose hook of sorts, there is no bus bar cover."

One foot from the floor, in a box held closed by a hook with no bus bar cover! Code 1 all day long mate. How long would take for a child in a lobby of a hotel to stick their fingers in that after they work out how difficult a hook is to open.

No win, no fee written all over this one I think.

OP
E

Engineer54

When the OP stated ''6 foot below'' i was thinking from a basement area. lol!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 99 72.3%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.