Discuss data cable running along side metal trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

steptoe

Hi all
I hope some one can advise on this situation
We were working in a commercial premises running data ,co ax ,HDMI and a RS 232 cables for a media system (TV monitor wireless access points and speakers) The termination cabinet for these cables was on the other side of a breeze block wall.The only gap to push these cable through the breeze block wall was next to some power trunking(box metal 4 inches) which was also running through the breeze block.The cables ran 4 inches alongside(not inside) the metal trunking through the wall with a 15-20mm gap between the trunking and the cables.The cables paired off away from the trunking upon entry and exit of the breeze block

Will this cause interference to any of the cables and is it a cause for concern

The HDMI/DVI and RS232 cable are both terminated with quite large connector block ends and we didn't have a a core cutter to drill through the breeze block hence using the gap next to the trunking, it has subsequently been flagged up

I have a photo but not directly at hand today that I will post if asked

Two compartment trunking cables are that close ? For the full run with either metal or plastic separating them so can't see why it would

As the others have said it should be fine.

Who has said it's not acceptable? Ask they what reasons in not acceptable.

The photo would be good.

Maybe the fire stopping was removed to allow data cables to pass through. Maybe the data cables are jammed in tight against the metal trunking and damaged or suseptable to damage if the trunking lid needs to be removed. Seen some real hash ups with data cables tangled all over the place or just chucked over a suspended cieling or forced through tiny holes......but hey who knows, perhaps as stated find out what the complaint is about and for what reason.

The metal trunking will prevent any mains borne interference from affecting the data cables.
As long as the data cables are laid correctly (no tight bends, stretched or otherwise damaged)
you should have no issues.

Why is it the opening post in some threads would be better placed in a confession box section as with others the OP in this thread seems to be seeking some sort of blessing or forgiveness from the forum members for doing what he has done and by his own admission couldn't be bothered drilling a hole solely for the the data and AV cables and now thinks he may have compromised the installation.

As UNG has rightly pointed out, there is also no excuse in my book for not installing cables of any type correctly in the first place. Not having a suitable drill size etc,is no excuse... What the OP is describing here, would get him thrown off of any half decent project. It seems that someone in authority has flagged this up, so it must be blatantly visible.

...What's the betting, the OP will try use the comments on this thread to try to substantiate his laziness and bad workmanship??

If I had gone to the trouble of maintaining spacing from LV ccts - the last thing I would do is blow it by bringing them together for the hole. It will and does look naff. As for will it make any difference to performance, who knows... you need analysers to tell if the single is being compromised as I doubt you would ever see it on the TV or hear it on the sound system. Working on a job at the moment which has 50K worth of AV and the guys have run the HDMIs through the outside meter box. Twice I have seen that now and it really grates.

They're just not bothered though, they just turn up to site literally throw the cables in, go through your holes in the wall, use your containment then leave 200 metres of slack above the false ceiling...most of them couldn't care less...what it looks like or anything...

This is aimed at the comment above not the OP...

On the job at the moment , I have run the AV cables. All speaker cables have been run well away from LV, HDMI, Ethernet and even power for the TV has been kept separate, no harder really as I got in there first before the plumber. I can imagine though if you are in last options become more limited. Still - I might try and run some for 20m parallel to a nice juicy lighting cct to see if it actually makes a difference. I just don't know,

They're just not bothered though, they just turn up to site literally throw the cables in, go through your holes in the wall, use your containment then leave 200 metres of slack above the false ceiling...most of them couldn't care less...what it looks like or anything...

This is aimed at the comment above not the OP...

You seen a ceiling void full of loose cables recently ?? Lol

Reply to data cable running along side metal trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock