Discuss Data install in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

currie123

Hi please can someone explain the configuration of wiring in a small data cabinet for cat 5e cable distribution?

I have installed a data cabinet and a 16 way patch panel along with ran a mains supply to the cabinet as a power supply unit comes with the kit.

From the patch panel there are 12 cat5e cables (6 double data points) which are located around the large domestic property.

The customers internet connection is by way of some sort of satellite receiver? And he has a standard Bt home hub in his office beside the data cabinet.

His data kit was supplied by a company called comms2go, however there is no 'switch' that comes with the kit. Being almost a novice with data work can someone tell me if he needs a 'switch' in the cabinet or can all the data points be fed directly from the satellite receiver box and/or the home hub? Hopefully that makes sense.

Yes, he'll probably need a switch in the cabinet to connect to each of the ports and then to the home hub, unless of course the number of actual data ports they need are less than the number on the home hub (which, I think, is 4).

Thanks for reply,

So something like a 16 port network switch should be mounted in the cabinet?

Should a lead/cable be ran from the home hub to the switch, and then in turn use patch leads from the switch to feed each port on the patch panel? I have terminated all of the 6 double data points back onto the rear of the patch panel.

Think of it as "star" with the network switch the centre and the patch leads and patch panel connecting the "legs" to the centre.
The data points are on the end of the "legs".
All devices (whether a computer, the router or even the satellite dish - if this being used to receive data) connect to a leg via a data point.
All devices can "talk" to any other via the switch.
Hope this makes sense :)

Thank you for the explanation.

So, if the satellite receiver is being used as the internet connection to supply all the data points around the house then I would need patch leads(within the data cabinet) between the switch and all of the in use patch ports on the patch panel?

Yes. (N.B. satellites are sometimes used in locations where the broadband bandwidth is very low, the router sends the data requests via the "normal" upstream route -over the telephone line - the downstream data comes from the satellite to the dish)

Yep, you can buy ready made patch cables in 0.25m length as well to aid in wiring closets like this.

Consider the customer's needs in the switch though; how many ports will they need? do they need gigabit capabilities? do they need power over ethernet (POE) for things like access points? do they need a managed switch for things like QoS, VLAN's etc?

Thanks for reply,

So something like a 16 port network switch should be mounted in the cabinet?

Should a lead/cable be ran from the home hub to the switch, and then in turn use patch leads from the switch to feed each port on the patch panel? I have terminated all of the 6 double data points back onto the rear of the patch panel.

Make sure to allow for 10gb switch to be added later

Otherwise everything will be limited to 128MB internet speed or through multiple switches to router down bt line

Reply to Data install in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock