Discuss Date of install of Square D split load board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all and everyone,

Newb poster to the site here, So hope I’m not asking a question that’s already been answered.

Went to a job this week to survey for a consumer unit upgrade, and The current consumer unit (board) And all the fixed wiring were installed at the same time. (So says the customer).

The consumer unit is a split load Square D board , All sockets/cooker/shower protected by one RCD And all the lighting circuits on MCB’s with no RCD protection.

They’re planning on new lighting/LED mirrors to Bathrooms on both floors of the house on two different lighting circuits, so RCD protection will be required.

I’ve seen these consumer unit a few times now and was just really interested to find out if anyone knows what year Range they were installed? Definitely looks like one of the older model Square D boards with the big switches (if that makes sense).
Anyone knows the answer or has any info that would be excellent.

Can upload some pictures when I pop back there on Monday. If that helps
Thanks in Adavance

The board arrangement would probably date it to being installed under the 16th edition.

Schneider do compatible RCBOs for most square D stuff. Can you remember any more about the board type or range ?

The board arrangement would probably date it to being installed under the 16th edition.

Schneider do compatible RCBOs for most square D stuff. Can you remember any more about the board type or range ?
Ok that’s , so around 1990-1995 if 16th edition ?

I believe it’s the old QOE type MCB’s,
My first thought was to look for some compatible RCBO is (I will look into the Sneider ones if I come across one again. Thanks , Unfortunately one of the screw covers that shuts the front case is broken and there is a crack on the bottom edge of the consumer unit and a very small piece missing at the bottom as well, so went all added up and needing RCD protection on the lighting, That’s why I’m suggesting it to be upgraded, otherwise your suggestion of RCBO’s would’ve been perfect. Thanks

I remember fitting splitload-boards when I first started on the tools around the very late 1990s. They were quite new at that point iirc

I remember fitting splitload-boards when I first started on the tools around the very late 1990s. They were quite new at that point iirc
In the Dark Ages?
NICEIC member for years then...….probably well older than you are now:mad:…...:)

Last edited:
You never know. It might have the original sticker for the date of the of the the next inspection somewhere on the board , or close by.

I am only 40 so yes probably started out some 20-30 years after many on here...

My dad started as an electrician back in the late 1950s so probably around the same time as many of you guys ??

Reply to Date of install of Square D split load board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net