Discuss Daughter wants to play minecraft over net in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Uni daughter has come home and wants to play minecraft with her pals. It means setting up my router apparently, and I don’t want to muck up my router!

So I need a static IP address, which my bt residential account doesn’t offer.
looking at DDNS for free, but I’m getting lost in the websites.

Anyone done this?

In reality, the IP address allocated to your router by your ISP doesn't change as frequently as it used to with modems and dialup. You can just do a google search for 'What's my ip address' and google will tell you what your publicly facing address is.

In terms of opening ports, I can't remember what Minecraft uses, but most routers these days have a ready mechanism for doing it.

You can use dynamic DNS services, but many of them are no longer free, but again, alot of routers have things in them to update the DDNS provider.

Thanks SC. I’ve got a spare bt hub at the moment, so I’m going to change it over. The one plugged in goes off every now and then.

I’ll try and get it to work,

obviously youse not ginven your dr. enough to occuppy her mind. there's washing, ironing, dishes, dusting. and if that's not enough, give her a paintbrush.

My son plays minecraft online on his Nintendo WiiU and it just works, no special setup needed, I assume other platforms should also just work.

It largely depends on how you want to play. If you're connecting to a public server then it should just work without any additional setup, but if you want to host a proper server or let your friends connect to your game instance then you need to deal with knowing your public facing IP address and opening ports on the firewall of your broadband router.

With regards to static IP addresses, yes static IP's are available but these usually only accompany business grade services, they cost money and can sometimes be a pain in the posterior to setup.

I don't really care how the government term their advice to be honest. Conducting inspection reports is not essential in preventing the spread of this disease.

The government do say you should not enter people's homes if you cannot effectively distance and the OP says this is impossible.

The virus is more likely spread through surface contacts than airborne, and let's face it, if this guy is doing as many inspection per week as stated do you think every touched surface will get wiped down before and after each inspection ?
It largely depends on how you want to play. If you're connecting to a public server then it should just work without any additional setup, but if you want to host a proper server or let your friends connect to your game instance then you need to deal with knowing your public facing IP address and opening ports on the firewall of your broadband router.

With regards to static IP addresses, yes static IP's are available but these usually only accompany business grade services, they cost money and can sometimes be a pain in the posterior to setup.

Ah yea I think he just does the public arena style mini games online on there, that sounds rum confusing for a kids game for the rest of it?

Kids game!?!
How dare you. This is a block based simulator, with additional tactical problem solving.

Much like real life lego

Tbh I'm 32 and I game ALOT from old stuff on my C64, to mario and zelda breath of the wild on the wiiU to real time strategy games on pc, to fortnite and COD on my ps4, but I just dont get the fascination in that damn minecraft ???

Tbh I'm 32 and I game ALOT from old stuff on my C64, to mario and zelda breath of the wild on the wiiU to real time strategy games on pc, to fortnite and COD on my ps4, but I just dont get the fascination in that damn minecraft ???

I used to play a lot of it years ago, particular a mod called Red Power which had a computer you could program in Forth (IIRC) and a whole bunch of machines and wiring with which you could automate stuff.

Not played it much for a very long time. Last thing I did was create a huge tree with gardens on it's branches for a friend of mine :)

Not keen on real time strategy, used to play a lot of Ultima Online and World of Warcraft. I like many of the Zachtronics games. Currently playing season 20 I think of Diablo III... hack and slash goodness, running around as an arrow flinging demon hunter :D

I think partly it’s minecraft, partly because the “pal” she wants to share a world with is a boyfriend.
I’ll give it a go later. shes 19, so Barbie and Ken are no longer an interest.

As for old games.... I connected up the old Wii, not one of those wii u things....
I had a SNES emulator loaded into it, so spent a while playing supermario and Tetris.

My lad plays Minecraft on the Xbox. So while playing Minecraft, for his friends to play on his world he just need to invite then to a 'Xbox Party' and there should be an option to invite them to the game.
Not really great for PC but if you have an Xbox (I'm presuming there is something similar for PS4) then this may be an option.

I love playing Minecraft and I'm 52. As @littlespark said above "Much like real life lego" Also like making automated farms.

Shes got it on PC, and weve got it on xbox one as well, but I don't think they are compatible to link together.
I think I have to pay for anything online with xbox??

Reply to Daughter wants to play minecraft over net in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net