Discuss DB Change & Isolation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've turned up at a job where the tenant needs to change the DB as the face is falling apart and was cut to fit more RCBO modules. Anyway the questions are as follows:
1) isolation, the supplier has been made aware of the change by the property manager so I'm reluctant to cut any tags! Any advice & cost/time on getting EDF to install a DP switch in Knightsbridge? I'm struggling to get a hold of them!
2) Regulation height, as you can see from the images the current board is pretty close to the floor. If changing the board do I need to meet the new regulation height. If so any suggestions for extending circuits to the new height would be appreciated? Most of the circuits are routed from the floor, up 2no 50x50mm trunking and into the DB.

Thanks in advance.20200922_115421.jpg20200922_115356.jpg20200922_115111.jpg20200922_115421.jpg20200922_115356.jpg20200922_115111.jpg

Is this a flat? Looks like MICC feeding a red-link, suggesting switch fused isolator may be available downstream - in a main metering or intake room etc?
No i've already checked. Standard 1361 type II (tagged) fuse downstream.
[automerge]1600776991[/automerge]
No i've already checked. Standard 1361 type II (tagged) fuse downstream.
Yes it is a block of flats

the supplier has been made aware of the change by the property manager so I'm reluctant to cut any tags!
The supplier will not have a record of the state of the installation. I'll bet the seal fairy will have visited since that meter was fitted, or that the meter fitter forgot to seal the supply fuse.

No need to change the height of the CU. Surely the flat is not suitable for disabled/wheelchair usesr?

I'm just amazed that a flat needs ~16 circuits!
It's Knightsbridge, so could be a massive penthouse, or a cupboard.

If it's in a block of flats, is there a building management company? Not that they are likely to be any more helpful than the DNO, but you never know.

Personally I've been down the route of trying to get sensible replies to isolation issues from UKPN, so I guess I'm lucky that the seal fairy has always been there before me...

Is this a flat? Looks like MICC feeding a red-link, suggesting switch fused isolator may be available downstream - in a main metering or intake room etc?
But a meter on the end of that.....what sort of supply 'engineer'?

It's Knightsbridge, so could be a massive penthouse, or a cupboard.

If it's in a block of flats, is there a building management company? Not that they are likely to be any more helpful than the DNO, but you never know.

Personally I've been down the route of trying to get sensible replies to isolation issues from UKPN, so I guess I'm lucky that the seal fairy has always been there before me...
Rather large apartment overlooking Hyde Park with own gym, hydro tanks etc. How the other half live...!
UKPN have stated that they are not responsible for the apartments, only up to the 3phase supply in basement. EDF were pretty useless and only take on the smart meter, so I guess that leaves me with consumer responsibility from smart meter tails down to 3 phase supply, erm I don't think so! But then again I have now covered my arse for when those fairies visit as no-one is taking responsibility!
[automerge]1600853073[/automerge]
No one got a spare cover that fits the box?
If you feel like it, change some breakers to rcbo’s.
Bobs your mums brother.
They're all RCBO'S, and the property manager has heeded to the C3 given on EICR for "improvement recommended" for fire rating of DB to comply with 18th Edition. Oh and the C2 for thermal damage to Neutral in!
[automerge]1600853388[/automerge]
I don't like that end of the MICC being like that
Nor do I but when trying to get UKPN to come and sort it out they claimed it's not their property, and the supplier has said the same! So whose responsibility is it then, clearly these guys are just pushing blame!

Last edited:
So they paid £2M for the flat and got the electrics done by the cheapest bidder? Figures.
No... they'd have paid top dollar to someone that 'appears' to be high quality and promises the earth... then that person would have got the cheapest Eastern Europeans in to do the work... thus trousering a handsome profit.

Reply to DB Change & Isolation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net