Discuss DB labelling? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have gone to look at installing an extra Socket on a radial circuit in a local cafe and the new DB which was installed by the another Electrician does not have one single label on any of the circuit breakers. The installation only took place in April and I cannot see any details of the installation and the manager also does not have them either.

My question is if I was doing a Domestic installation I am expected to label and supply details of every circuit. Is this not the same practice for a DB in a commercial environment?

It took me half an hour to positively identify the circuit for safe isolation.

Many thanks
Andy

See section 514 about labelling to see what should be there, in particular 514.9.1 which includes all the info that should be on the schedule of test results or a db schedule.

We label every circuit as we're running them in so that once in the DB they're labelled to a clear, satisfactory standard. I'd be pretty ****ed to come across this after the way I've been taught to do it, sounds like a bunch of cowboys to me. Maybe it's just me or the way I was taught but I'd never lower myself to this, especially with the DB clear identification is essential to any install I'd ever do.

Wait till you encounter it in a factory, I get it all the time with being industrial, And there is far more t risk from switching the wrong mcb off compared to domestic. I once had to do an Eicr in a printing firm , there were 2 power boards an 5 x 24 way 3 phase boards with nothing labelled up . Makes my ---'s itch.

Why are you working on an instal which is so new?
Has the installer given a guarantee which he will void if you alter it?
Why did the client not get the original installer back to add the socket, is he holding back cash?

Just a few commercial thoughts.

Boydy

No labels rush job always label , if i do an EICR on a board not labeled when i leave it will be labeled have to find what the circuits are doing so why not label it better job happy customers

Why are you working on an instal which is so new?
Has the installer given a guarantee which he will void if you alter it?
Why did the client not get the original installer back to add the socket, is he holding back cash?

Just a few commercial thoughts.

Boydy
The cafe manager has arranged this job on the consent of the head office. Its to add extra sockets in the cellar for a new Ice making machine.

Nick I am of the same thinking I always label.

I've even put a label on my labeller saying labeller :sifone:

One of my pet hates this. Have been recently 2nd fixing two flats that had nothing labeled at DB position and a ridiculous amount of cables coming down from the ceiling. Took four hours working out one flat. It had two 2.5s taped together at the DB so I thought RFC.. But it wasn't...a radial was leg of RFC and a leg of the RFC was a radial!!

I label or Sharpie everything now, bonding cables, feeds, loops, switch lives. Would like to think the next spark life would be that bit easier and his/hers day that bit brighter for such small mercys!

Reply to DB labelling? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock