Discuss DB upgrade advice appreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Phill

-
Reaction score
DB upgrade advice appreciated 7CCFD03E-505D-4F8B-96E8-C012F545363F - EletriciansForums.net DB upgrade advice appreciated 8A23B480-9127-42C9-B7E1-FE99749B7676 - EletriciansForums.net DB upgrade advice appreciated B87E32B5-F3F3-4112-B7F5-6F58CF0CD38C - EletriciansForums.net DB upgrade advice appreciated 6A11A3F8-F3BE-4BE4-9C67-CE780ED7ECCE - EletriciansForums.net View attachment 48444 View attachment 48445 View attachment 48444 View attachment 48445 View attachment 48446 View attachment 48447 Ok, I’m a relatively new domestic installer and would value the opinions from you more experienced guys.

Went to look at a job which was outside lighting, gate lights, drive lights, security etc and changing some fluorescents for down lighters in an outbuilding... straightforward. When I went to check the DB to see what I would be working with I came across this arrangement... the client is very keen to get it all upgraded and looking at what he’s got DB1 (top board) feeds DB2 (no RCDS) both boards then feed an outbuilding each with sockets, lighting and EV charger off one... no bonding to gas, water etc and on and on we go , I’m not surprised he wants / needs it sorting.

So, I’m thinking split the incoming tails in a Henley and replace DB1 and 2 with 2 x new 12 way split boards (couple of spare ways in each for future use) and each one of those then feeds a sub board in the outbuildings. Remove the fuses for other two phases not used.

OR, as he’s got 3 phase coming in use 1 phase for one new DB and another phase for another DB,?

I’m more comfortable with option one but open to suggestions. I’m going back on Saturday afternoon to have a more thorough investigation but that’s my thoughts so far...

Sorry, if I don’t respond quickly but got to take my dear old mum out for lunch as she’s 90 today!

I'm not MIC expert, but this may be a problem (?).

Is that MICC, or a couple of microbore heating pipes?

OP:- Happy birthday to your mum. Not too much gin, ok

Are you sure that's a domestic installation?
Could take more than a week to sort all that out. I would try to share load over all 3 phases, assuming there's no underlying problems with the installation itself. (borrowed neutrals for example)
What does the timeclock control? off peak heating?

Good luck.

Not sure I understand you when you say about only using 1 phase. I see two 3 phase boards in the photo's, what are they feeding?
The time clock looks to be a DNO off-peak time clock, do they have storage heaters. I see what looks like a contactor so again, storage heaters? Also not sure about you removing the DNO fuses!
As you say you are a relatively new domestic installer I wonder if you knew an experienced spark to have a look with you? This set up is nearer to commercial than domestic so you could get in over your head if you're not careful.

Yes, one house and domestic.

The 3 phase is not needed or in use but it is live up to the isolator switch. That’s why I thought get rid of it all after the DNO removes the fuses then I’m just dealing with one dogs dinner of a single phase installation...

I agree some serious testing is needed.

I think I will go back with a more experienced sparks and see what they think, maybe hand it off to them or hopefully work with them, nice learning curve!

That’s why I posted as I don’t want to get in over my head.

If you can make the 3 phase redundant (is this possible are there any 3 phase devices anywhere) then dealing with the rats nest becomes much easier to deal with.
2 things first ...
1 - get the dno to give you a cost on a new single phase supply and brand new isolation point
2 - do a thorough eicr on the whole installation, don’t cut corners on the eicr testing as it will only bite you in the arse when you start putting everything on an rcd.

This is the sort of job I love if you have the budget and time to rip the whole lot out and make a really nice job of it

Is that MICC, or a couple of microbore heating pipes?

OP:- Happy birthday to your mum. Not too much gin, ok

Are you sure that's a domestic installation?
Could take more than a week to sort all that out. I would try to share load over all 3 phases, assuming there's no underlying problems with the installation itself. (borrowed neutrals for example)
What does the timeclock control? off peak heating?

Good luck.

Microbore

It's possible the 3 phase supply was required for max demand, rather than needing 3 phases for 3 phase kit. If it's a big house with all electric space heating that might have been the reason. It's unusual to find a 3 phase head in domestic unless it needs to be there for extra kW. Worth checking max demand before getting supply changed....

Ditching the three phase supply for a single phase option seems crazy to me. It needs a thorough inspection and test to ascertain what and what isn't still required you can then rationalise it all into one TP&N board with a single phase off peak unit if required.

I suspect the Federal triple pole board is the off peak judging from some of the circuit ID and the separate Federal mcb below the contactor enclosure which appears to be in the off position.

Not a huge house but in a large plot with a few outbuildings so I was thinking 3 phase was probably for a workshop that no longer exists, current owners only been there 4 years.

Currently, everything working on 100A single phase.

Why keep TP if not needed? The hard work has been done ie 3 cables to the house so if ever needed to be restored it’s there?

Not a huge house but in a large plot with a few outbuildings so I was thinking 3 phase was probably for a workshop that no longer exists, current owners only been there 4 years.

Currently, everything working on 100A single phase.

What is the TP board doing if everything is SP?

Reply to DB upgrade advice appreciated in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock