Discuss Dead Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimfuego

Hi chaps/chapesses

I have been looking at an upstairs lighting circuit today: a bulb blew this morning (the MCB didn't trip) and subsequently the whole circuit stopped working. The MCB was stil closed when i arrived and no voltage or current was present at the accessory or either of the two way switches. I've checked the connections in all the switches/accessories/visible junction boxes in the loft - and at the MCB - and they're all tight and can see no obvious breaks/nicks/pinches at these points. I'm getting continuity readings on all conductors at the point where the bulb blew (slightly high on line and neutral). I have also done an Insulation Resistance test on the circuit and am getting a reading of 0.00Mohms on L/N, and about 4Mohms on L/E and N/E.

The only thing i can think of is that the basic insulation has failed somewhere in the circuit, which could obviously be virtually impossible to find - especially as the customer has recently insulated the loft and and boarded over part of it. (could too-thick loft insulation cause 1mm cable to heat up so far as to melt? there are only 6 points on the circuit).

does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be, or are we looking at re-wire?

any thoughts appreciated

cheers

Thank you lads
Minds with the same thought as me but much quicker with the keyboard rendered my ramblings old hat
icon11.png

Because I went to the trouble of pounding the keyboard,I'm posting it
icon6.png

I will ask the silly question, just to get the missing info out of the way
icon7.png

Was a supply confirmed at the load of the mcb ?

I'm getting continuity readings on all conductors at the point where the bulb blew (slightly high on line and neutral). I have also done an Insulation Resistance test on the circuit and am getting a reading of 0.00Mohms on L/N, and about 4Mohms on L/E and N/E.

If you belled out all the wiring and your IR test is 4M then the wiring is okay. I'm guessing there were still lamps in the fittings which gave you the '0.00Mohms on L/N'

The only thing i can think of is that the basic insulation has failed somewhere in the circuit, which could obviously be virtually impossible to find
Why do you say that if your IR readings were okay?

could too-thick loft insulation cause 1mm cable to heat up so far as to melt? there are only 6 points on the circuit).
Anything's possible....... but you would have seen it in the test results.......

.....or are we looking at re-wire?
A rewire on what grounds?

What type of lighting is it?

when i started out every fault i went to i emptied the van of tools and testers, I then learned to start at the begining and think basic.
Never let me down yet. You can get bogged down with the things the fault has caused and miss the obvious. Good luck fella.

when i started out every fault i went to i emptied the van of tools and testers, I then learned to start at the begining and think basic.
Never let me down yet. You can get bogged down with the things the fault has caused and miss the obvious. Good luck fella.

Lets carry on that excellent piece of advise and start the ball rolling (assuming getting replies off jimfuego)

Quest 1 ( in my best July Andrews tone )

Was there a shilling in the meter ?
icon7.png

I had an old boy i was working for. he would watch me running in and out with tools while sitting there rolling a smoke.
then when i had finished he would look up and say ''You checked the fuse boy! '' learnt real quick.

I am going to apologise to jimfuego for my tasteless humour

jim, Have this thread back
icon14.png

Humour leads me astray I'm sorry to admit
icon11.png

Now tell us, what is the answer to the mcb issue ?

I am going to apologise to jimfuego for my tasteless humour

jim, Have this thread back
icon14.png

Humour leads me astray I'm sorry to admit
icon11.png

Now tell us, what is the answer to the mcb issue ?

I'll carry on playing chequed flag on this online speccy emulator..... I'm 6 years old at the moment!!! Stuff my 6 year old's NFS on PS3 rubbish he don't know a decent driving sim!!

Last edited:
If you've already checked each accessory and switch, disconnect at each point and do a continuity test to find the damaged cable or connection.

I am 17 turning to 18. Was that a song in the sound of music?

which could obviously be virtually impossible to find - especially as the customer has recently insulated the loft and and boarded over part of it.

It seems there are a few discrepencies that need to be attended to before further advice can be given. Your results are showing a fault on line and neutral conductors but no answer has been given to suggest that lamps, transformer packs or even dimmer switches have been removed from the circuit.

The other point I will address is the "Virtually impossible to find"??? Why is it? DIVIDE and CONQUER! You will find which accessories the fault is between, if you do not have access then explain to the customer that gaining access to continue your fault finding will still be charged at your hourly rate, when I suggested this to one of my clients they were in the loft like a ferret moving insulation and boards in order to assist (genuine customer though and probably quite rare these days;)):thumbsup

Reply to Dead Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net