Discuss Dead phone. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

westward10

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Now I only replace my phone when they need replacing but my old Samsung S7 kept freezing the other day then died. Took to a phone repair shop they said new battery so I left with them 24hrs later all working, the old battery all bulged out. Worked for a day then kept freezing, restarting and now nothing so now have a new Samsung S22.
Question, the phone no longer works but the chap in the shop says he can transfer the data for £15 and that is fine by me because at the moment it is irretrievable but has anyone ever had this done I don't see how it is possible. Tried several links on my laptop but nothing recognises the dead phone.
Is it possible?

Turn on your new device. Tap Start. When asked, make sure that you connect to a Wi-Fi network. Choose to copy apps and data from your old device.
If you don't have a cable:
  1. Tap No cable? OK.
  2. Tap A backup from an Android phone.
  3. To copy your data, follow the on-screen instructions.

Turn on your new device. Tap Start. When asked, make sure that you connect to a Wi-Fi network. Choose to copy apps and data from your old device.
If you don't have a cable:
  1. Tap No cable? OK.
  2. Tap A backup from an Android phone.
  3. To copy your data, follow the on-screen instructions.
I know all this but the old phone no longer switches on it is a goner.

My daughter had a Samsung S10 (I think) and it accidentally fell in a toilet. (Students!) Wouldn’t start after that, even with a few weeks in a bag of rice to dry it out.

Her replacement S10 fell out her bag and landed screen side down on my gravel driveway… the day after she took off the cracked screen protector.

So now she’s on her third S10.

And our local phone repair shop said it was basically impossible to either swap the maybe working screen off one to replace the broken screen on the other….. or to plug the phone into a computer to download the data unless it had been set up to do so beforehand.

It’s a lesson in backing up your phones on a regular basis just in case.

Now I only replace my phone when they need replacing but my old Samsung S7 kept freezing the other day then died. Took to a phone repair shop they said new battery so I left with them 24hrs later all working, the old battery all bulged out. Worked for a day then kept freezing, restarting and now nothing so now have a new Samsung S22.
Question, the phone no longer works but the chap in the shop says he can transfer the data for £15 and that is fine by me because at the moment it is irretrievable but has anyone ever had this done I don't see how it is possible. Tried several links on my laptop but nothing recognises the dead phone.
Is it possible?
The data should be able to be recovered from the Nand ic.

My daughter had a Samsung S10 (I think) and it accidentally fell in a toilet. (Students!) Wouldn’t start after that, even with a few weeks in a bag of rice to dry it out.

Her replacement S10 fell out her bag and landed screen side down on my gravel driveway… the day after she took off the cracked screen protector.

So now she’s on her third S10.

And our local phone repair shop said it was basically impossible to either swap the maybe working screen off one to replace the broken screen on the other….. or to plug the phone into a computer to download the data unless it had been set up to do so beforehand.

It’s a lesson in backing up your phones on a regular basis just in case.
This is my thinking but he seemed quite nonchalant about it, can be done. Will let all know will let him give it a try nothing to lose.

Took it in this morning and after an hour he managed it. After several people tried to switch it on or get charge into it and failing he somehow got it on and got 20% charge into it and transferred the lot into the new phone. Cost me £40 but he did something others could not do.

Seems like £40 well spent.

Out of interest, what happened with everything between the S7 and S22? I only upgraded to an S7 last year and it would appear as though much has happened in Samsung land.

Seems like £40 well spent.

Out of interest, what happened with everything between the S7 and S22? I only upgraded to an S7 last year and it would appear as though much has happened in Samsung land.
Definitely well spent apps can be put back on and contacts transfer with the sim but pics and storage is lost. Only two apps wouldn't load one being Electricians Forum😂😂 but aside from that it all works as with the S7 even took the background wallpaper I put on.
Doesn't matter how much they say the S22 can do xyz and is a flagship phone it is just that a phone and aside from an improved camera with three lenses which I am not fussed about it looks and works the same and is virtually the same size which is what I wanted.

Definitely well spent apps can be put back on and contacts transfer with the sim but pics and storage is lost. Only two apps wouldn't load one being Electricians Forum😂😂 but aside from that it all works as with the S7 even took the background wallpaper I put on.
Doesn't matter how much they say the S22 can do xyz and is a flagship phone it is just that a phone and aside from an improved camera with three lenses which I am not fussed about it looks and works the same and is virtually the same size which is what I wanted.

When one quits working, or software no longer supported by apps I need, it's off to ebay for the best that £100 will buy. Last time round I pushed the boat out and spent £115 on a brand new & sealed S7. That last change was the first time I realised that everything could be transferred wirelessly and what a revelation that was to not lose every piece of information.

I'm on a business contract with Vodafone and I must admit I didn't think I could squeeze them for the deal I got for an S22 I had set my sights lower.

Been exclusively using sim only deals for around 15 years. Once phone prices moved into used car territory, I reckoned having the latest and greatest wasn't at all important.

Reply to Dead phone. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net