Discuss Dead Short after IR testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spazz

Just had a call off my electrician (one doing council work)

He did a CU change - on testing he IR tested the lighting circuit (500v DC) and got acceptable readings.
When he energized the circuit - RCD trips. Found a dead short between N and E. Investigating now to locate which run of cable/accessory is providing this dead short now. There are no Low Voltage equipment on lighting so nothing could of been damaged.

Any ideas what could of caused this?

Have to say, I always IR test before a board change - doesn't stop there being problems, but at least you know the problem was already there!

Regards

But what we don't understand was when he IR tested between N&E there was no fault >900Mohms = good reading!

When he energized the circuit then the RCD tripped. Did a 2nd IR test and then dead short. - Don't understand this - its like the IR test caused the fault

All light switches on - maybe the 2-way stairs lighting in the other position? Daz

Might have been a cable snagged after R1+R2 like you said 1shortcircuit

It may not even have been visible. I've had it on an MK socket before where there is just enough pressure between a conductor and the protective bar that runs across the back of the socket to cause this issue. Cable fine once repositioned.

I also had it on a light switch. Removed metal switch plate, replaced and the fuse popped (rewireable) It was one of those daft flat plate ones and on closer inspection I noticed that there was not enough room in the back box for the cables AND the switch unit. Replaced for a plastic one and advised client that deeper box was required.

Easily done I guess:thumbsup

Reply to Dead Short after IR testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net