Discuss Dead short between 3 conductors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
What reasons can anyone think of why a circuit would have a dead short across all 3 conductors ?
so far I'm thinking
- water damage
- possible rodent / pest damage
any more ?

What reasons can anyone think of why a circuit would have a dead short across all 3 conductors ?
so far I'm thinking
- water damage
- possible rodent / pest damage
any more ?

If you really do mean 'dead short' then the only thing I can think of would be a couple of nails or screws driven into the cable and connecting adjacent conductors.

if nothing altered/changed and no other works carried out (i.e. fault just manifested), I'd agree with water/rodent.
Recently a fault on lighting circuit with outside lights showing ingress of moisture (you could have kept a goldfish in it), simple I thought! Split conductors, s/w open all good, s/w closed, not! Also found a 'half severed' t&e feeding outside light. No work in vicinity for 13 years, when roof was replaced. Took that wet spell we had for it to be a problem (along with the o/s light)

A house I went to the other day, a there was a leg coming off a socket going "somewhere" that appeared to hve a dead short across all three, disconnected and then everything was fine, no idea where it went though and everything still worked, it was a radial and house was empty so easy to check everything.

A mystery, but I got my money, rcd stayed in, I walked out the door.

Impact damage, or just plain good old fashioned deterioration. Or has anyone had floorboards up etc. there is usually more to the tail than the customer will admit.

Cheers.............Howard

Everyone is taking shots in the dark here ...what was the IR results ...did you do a Ohms test and are you sure no loads were connected ...all it takes is a transformed AC/DC supply with noise filtering to mimic these results ... please elaborate on your situation.

A house I went to the other day, a there was a leg coming off a socket going "somewhere" that appeared to hve a dead short across all three, disconnected and then everything was fine, no idea where it went though and everything still worked, it was a radial and house was empty so easy to check everything.

A mystery, but I got my money, rcd stayed in, I walked out the door.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahaha

...what was the IR results ...did you do a Ohms test and are you sure no loads were connected ...
My thoughts also. Are we talking about a dead short tested with a Mega tester at 500v or a dead short tested with a low-ohm meter. It would be better if you gave us an actual value and what test equipment was used.

If he chopped it back enough so it couldn't be re-connected and the customer's happy, sounds OK to me.
Why waste hours tracking down an irrelevant fault!

Yes disconnected and put in 2 way wagos then wrapped in tape and put a label on it from the label machine, I have no idea where it went and everything still worked so was not planning on spending all day looking for something.

A common reason for a "dead short" across the three conductors,if that is indeed what has occurred,is a pulled or strained t&e through a bare steel aperture,for example a backbox or steel studding.....usually after the decorators have left...

I'll be honest I just left them wrapped up at the back, cutting them off at the entry to the box will not help the next person. It was safe, I didn't just cut the ends and leave them, well not this time anyway, maybe next time...

I don't see what advantage putting a wago on the end of it has?

If you want to make it safe then connect them all to earth

I see where you are coming from , but personally if I were ever to leave a unknown cable without finding it's purpose .
I would do as uksparks has , this way it can be reconnected if found to be needed , and although banging down to earth is good practice for known circuits which are now obsolete , I would be very wary of doing so with one of unknown origin / destination .

Reply to Dead short between 3 conductors in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net