Discuss Debt collection from non paying customers.......... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kevyn

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone had to deal with a debt collection company to get their money out of a customer?

I am thinking about contacting one as a farmer (typical...) owes me over £900 for work carried out on his farm. He is already on his reminder which gives him another 14 days to cough up which gives him a total of 28 days he has had to pay. After that a final demand will go out and then on to the debt collectors.

The tariff for the company I looked at is 18% of the total owed.

I can cope with losing the time but need the money to pay my material bill.

Hi all,

Has anyone had to deal with a debt collection company to get their money out of a customer?

I am thinking about contacting one as a farmer (typical...) owes me over £900 for work carried out on his farm. He is already on his reminder which gives him another 14 days to cough up which gives him a total of 28 days he has had to pay. After that a final demand will go out and then on to the debt collectors.

The tariff for the company I looked at is 18% of the total owed.

I can cope with losing the time but need the money to pay my material bill.

Difficult.

Debt companies exist purely to make money, as do most commercial enterprises. Often, they don't do anything you can't do yourself.

One thing that might be worth looking at is issuing something called a Statutory demand. Google for it, and you'll probably find a template you can use too.

It *can* be helpful where the debt is over £750, but should be used with care, although it has a lot of use as a "threat" should the debt not be paid. It's also a lot cheaper than a full court action, initially.

Things on your side to be sure of, are that he hasn't got a reason to dispute your bill in any way - all work completed, certificated, to standard, satisfaction signed for? Etc. Make sure you've covered all your bases, and all possible objections, so that you have as watertight a case as possible. You don't want to have any reason for him to come back claiming a reason for non payment.

I'd probably sooner try the SD route first, than involve a debt collection company - most of them are just leaches, to be honest.

you still snowed in there A12?? I heard friend went from stirling to bellshill n back yeasterday well into today

Funny you should say that - my Uncle's wife left Glasgow Central yesterday at 1pm, and got home to Cumbernauld at 6:30 this morning. Not funny on that M80 at all.

Sure am Mogga. Only managed to get out Friday last week. Got out yesterday but took 4 hours to get from Braco to Stirling services so turned round and came back. Need to get out soon, got bills to pay!

Upside the 2391 revision is coming on nice.

Never mind this is helping..

Debt collection from non paying customers.......... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Download a small claims court form, fill it out with the date not filled in then photo copy it, send it with your final demand then put a covering note in that if payment is not received within x amount of days the following form will be submitted to the small claims court. A few accountant I know use this method and they reckon it's quite successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've pasted below some advice I got and used last year:

"
My solicitor said that you should give them 2 to 3 chances to pay before you go to court. A fair period would be about a month. If it seems to the judge that you have been fair, open and honest you will get the right decision. Keep everything brief too. I found that advice really useful, you know how I waffle! I made no excuses nor gave any explanations. I just stated that they owed me the money because we had a contract and I had done the work. Even when they sent me letters refuting the contract, I simply replied with the same info and referred them to my previous letters.

The first letter I sent was simply an invoice. So you could just send a letter saying how much they owe you, why (i.e I paid the fee, I changed my mind, the contract stated that I could but you have not paid, you have asked me to sign a disclaimer, I do not intend to do so) and a date you want to be paid by. The bit where they ask you to sign a disclaimer is completely unreasonable – why should you sign something to get money that is yours? I think a judge would think that too.
The second letter states that you still have not been paid by the date in letter one so you will give them another 2 weeks
The third letter states you’ve still not been paid and will proceed to court ‘WITHOUT FURTHER REFERENCE TO YOU’ if not paid within 2 weeks.

The online court filing system is here

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Read all the info – it is really helpful

When you do get the money, you must send a receipt"

Good luck.

Reply to Debt collection from non paying customers.......... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock