Discuss Decent Alarm system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, installing an one off alarm system and wondered from your experience what would be a decent make / model to install. 4 x PIR zones ground floor, 1 x E/E door, 1 x PIR zone Landing (night set) and 2 x remote keypads ( 1 by E/E door, other on Landing). End station going in hall cupboard possibly with keypad on it. I was thinking of key pads being fob operated. All wiring done separately back to End station.
Not into alarms, but last one I fitted was an Abercus, some 20 + years ago. Thanks

Texecom Premier (LCPLP) if you want proximity tags. Honeywell G4 is a good domestic alarm but you have to buy additional unit for keyprox, unless you go for Galaxy, but that is a bit OTT for a house IMO.

Will all depend on customers budget, Texecom Premier Elite are great panels, 24 panel kit comes with built in com for texting customers mobile, Keypad & 5 prox tags. Or Veritas kits, bit cheaper but alot less features.
You should be able to buy Elite with 1 keypad with prox, com board, 4x pirs, bell box, door contacts etc. for around £220...or vertas without comms for £180, customer tend to really like Elite with the texting feature..great selling point

Not a fan of Galaxy, been a lot of rfi faults lately, and no inbuilt coms for customer use

You will not get a G2 to fail, G3 maybe.
the G2-12 comes with built in coms, just connect tel line and of you go.
as the OP's last install was an Abacus ! (I hate them lol) he will need something easy to program.
A G2 can be programmed 10x quicker than even a tex veritas.

Understand what your saying, as most alarm engineers are used to galaxy because if were honest its the norm...but they are having problems.....we are enjoying better success with texecom, as basically we have program templates, programmed in seconds, or with engineers programmed down phone line or internet, within seconds. With less customer complaints....I now a Texecom fan.

The elite is our main panel, but there lies the problem for op. He will need laptop, hell I know the elite inside out but I would not program one from scratch with a keypad just way to time consuming.

I'm not the biggest Galaxy fan but the entry level G2-12 is a little gem.

Paul are you sure you don't mean a Texecom Veritas Excel

Driverman not sure why you are speccing 2 keypads seems a bit of a waste having one on the landing

Home owner has requested it. Probably seen it done elsewhere. I suppose easily set when going to bed and first thing in morning. I suppose that would mean when set on part set (night time) PIR will have to become E/E route. No family bathroom on landing, all bedrooms have en -suites.

You will not get a G2 to fail, G3 maybe.
the G2-12 comes with built in coms, just connect tel line and of you go.
as the OP's last install was an Abacus ! (I hate them lol) he will need something easy to program.
A G2 can be programmed 10x quicker than even a tex veritas.
Your right, something very simple to install indeed! I never had any trouble with the Abercus alarms that installed years ago. What liked about them was that they were LCd's and told you visually in writing what zone operated etc.

Good thread this, I'm in the market for a system myself. Can you wire a second bell box like a repeater for the back of house also?

Good thread this, I'm in the market for a system myself. Can you wire a second bell box like a repeater for the back of house also?

yes you can. if you do a search, tazz posted an excellent diagram of a 2 bell connection only last week on another thread.

re above systems, baring in mind I'm almost a complete novice installing alarms. What make / model would suit a person with limited knowledge. I take it all makes / models have the PIR + and - all connected into a pair of terminals. Each alarm zone connected to a separate pair of terminals? Tamper circuits all linked via connectors? As for the comms (is that for the phone?) I've no idea. And yes one that is fairly straight forward to program and fairly flexible re walk through areas. Are most bells compatible with different makes? I suppose what I'm after is a complete package with instructions, as opposed to buying bits separately., Thanks

re above systems, baring in mind I'm almost a complete novice installing alarms. What make / model would suit a person with limited knowledge. I take it all makes / models have the PIR + and - all connected into a pair of terminals. Each alarm zone connected to a separate pair of terminals? Tamper circuits all linked via connectors? As for the comms (is that for the phone?) I've no idea. And yes one that is fairly straight forward to program and fairly flexible re walk through areas. Are most bells compatible with different makes? I suppose what I'm after is a complete package with instructions, as opposed to buying bits separately., Thanks

My weapon of choice was the Premier Elite panel in gunmetal, you can connect it to your laptop which makes the programming very easy, i had also added on some wireless shock sensors for windows which work on a mesh network and each device acts as a repeater for the next device which was handy for me when i added these sensors to the conservatory and then a further PIR in the shed at the bottom of the garden which is about 150ft away but works fine. i added a GSM device that can send me a text if the alarm goes off and you can also remotely arm/disarm etc.....

gor blimey. next thing is an alarm system that'll wipe your arse and pull your keks back up.

Reply to Decent Alarm system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net