Discuss decision to make in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jamie s

i have been asked to install a rewire into a house including a new consumer unit. the customer would also like power run to a shed which i have never done before. my instinct says i would need swa as he doesnt want high or underground cable. it is only to supply a shed c.u for sockets and lights so am intrigued to find out my options from you professionals! any advice appreciated

i have been asked to install a rewire into a house including a new consumer unit. the customer would also like power run to a shed which i have never done before. my instinct says i would need swa as he doesnt want high or underground cable. it is only to supply a shed c.u for sockets and lights so am intrigued to find out my options from you professionals! any advice appreciated

and how many points will be in this shed?.....whats the intended use?.....whats the earthing arrangements here?....any water or gas extrainious conductive parts in this shed?.......check both earthing and bonding arrangements here first and upgrade/replace to the 17th edition standard before doing any work here....how longs the run from the origin of supply for this shed and the shed itself?....

3 sockets, 2 lights, man shed so prob radio and power tools, no water or gas but will double check. 10m run from supply to shed and 3m l, 2m h, 1m d shed.

so i would suggest a 16A MCB (for the outlets).....and a 6A MCB for lighting......need to know the earthing arrangements though mate as this will determine whether an s type RCD is required (for discrimination purposes)......

Oh lord... on your marks.....

But seriously. nothing to be afraid of. Plenty of guides around.. Check with your scheme provider and see what they advise..

my instinct says i would need swa as he doesnt want high or underground cable.
TBH I would bury SWA, out of sight, out of mind. As you're doing a complete rewire, run T+E under the floor space if you can, adaptable box onto SWA and off to the shed you go. Buried looks a hell of a lot tidier, if not, is there anything for you to clip the cable to?

The key word I`m afraid is professionals. I take it from this that you dont consider yourself a professional which begs the question should you be undertaking any of the work in the first place?

are you qualified/ competent/ experienced to complete this work? Are you notifying this work or have you contacted building control?

I have noticed that these posts are becoming less frequently responded to by the regulars for good reasons.

To be honest, I suspect that if you were competent to be undertaking this kind of work, then there would be no need to ask this type of question as you would be familiar with the requirements for electrical installations BS 7671.

Hence I will offer no further advice unless specific and understandable questions come forthwith.

Get a registered and experienced electrician.

Last edited:

Reply to decision to make in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock