Discuss dedicated fuse spur for stairlift in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bulby

Hi
What is the legal requirments for earthing arrangements. I have been asked to install fuse spur units at top of stairs for stairlift chargers around 2 amps. I have done some survey work and most of the properties are very old some with very old wooden db often with bs3036 fuses and sometimes older, these properties eith have very small bonding or not at all and some have only 4mm supply earths from cable sheave. Is it up to me to carry out bonding work ?

None of these houses are up to 17th edition so does this mean i have to rely on eebads as the form of protective measures ? if i do is it up to me to bond all pipes etc...?

How are you proposing doing this. Supplies I have seen done for stairlifts are normally a spur of the nearest available socket, is this the way you are planing to do it

Have a read of Regulation 131.8 and the last part about earthing and bonding in an existing installation.

Do you need RCD protection for cables buried?

How are you proposing doing this. Supplies I have seen done for stairlifts are normally a spur of the nearest available socket, is this the way you are planing to do it

Have a read of Regulation 131.8 and the last part about earthing and bonding in an existing installation.

Do you need RCD protection for cables buried?

the company has asked me to spur off the ring main, Most of the jobs ive seen i dont need rcd protection

Well then you will need to assess that the existing bonding and earthing arrangements are adequate?

If you achieve ADS within 0.4 sec for a TN or 0.2 sec for a TT on the protection device which in your case is a BS 3036 fuse you may feel that the existing installation is safe as it is.

I'm not sure if your going to be working for a company or if your subbing this work.

You may find the stair lift manufacturer requires their equipment to have RCD protection? Who have asked you to do this? what is their position regarding bonding? There are so many factors. Personally if I were installing these spurs I would be doing my level best to persuade the client of the benefits of RCD protection and upgrading the bonding/earthing, but like all things it is the designers call, who is that?

Well then you will need to assess that the existing bonding and earthing arrangements are adequate?

If you achieve ADS within 0.4 sec for a TN or 0.2 sec for a TT on the protection device which in your case is a BS 3036 fuse you may feel that the existing installation is safe as it is.

I'm not sure if your going to be working for a company or if your subbing this work.

You may find the stair lift manufacturer requires their equipment to have RCD protection? Who have asked you to do this? what is their position regarding bonding? There are so many factors. Personally if I were installing these spurs I would be doing my level best to persuade the client of the benefits of RCD protection and upgrading the bonding/earthing, but like all things it is the designers call, who is that?

the stairlifts are dc so the fuse spur is for the charger only, the company has no qualified sparkies, all the company really wants to do is get the stairlift installed, but obviously if the want a dedicated supply for the charger i have to advise them what it will cost and they as usual want it as cheap as possible. I just want to make sure i do the jobs and do them to the law, most of the properties are very old and the electrical systems very old too, most dont have any bonding at all and the ones that do are far below current spec, these stairlifts are on government grants so the local councils are involved but they dont want anything to do with sending any of the local council sparks round to do any upgrades etc.. they just expect the stairlift people to fit a lift

Reply to dedicated fuse spur for stairlift in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net