Discuss defects on inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
on inspection of the electrical installation of a "refurb" property. 2 up 2 down terrace. .the lighting ccts on the board (2) are protected by a 10A MCb
is this acceptable or sholuld i recommend thayre down graded to 6A? also there are 2 feeds out from each of the two mcbs..effectively making 2 light ccts from each
position.....can i let this go, or of course i can introduce two more mcbs and split them at the board.

10A MCB could be a problem with 1.0mm cable if that cable is run in insulation. otherwise, it's OK (good with 1.5mm even if in some insulation).nothing wrong with dropping it to 6A unless the load current exceeds this value. and it's quite common to have 2 light circuits from 1 MCB. check that it's not wired as a ring though if you intend to split it.

Also check for a shared neutral but when I see this in a board its because someone has added a new circuit but with no spare way they double up the lights

on inspection of the electrical installation of a "refurb" property. 2 up 2 down terrace. .the lighting ccts on the board (2) are protected by a 10A MCb
is this acceptable or sholuld i recommend thayre down graded to 6A? also there are 2 feeds out from each of the two mcbs..effectively making 2 light ccts from each
position.....can i let this go, or of course i can introduce two more mcbs and split them at the board.

The MCB is there to protect the cable, so if it is adequately sized, considering all derating factors, then it is safe. (see tel's answer)
The lighting should be split across the RCD's so that you don't lose all lighting at once if one RCD trips. As for 2 cables in one MCB... again acceptable if cables are suitably rated, though not ideal practice. Also, the 2 cables in one RCD will be classed as one circuit.
Sorry to sound patronising, but if you are asking questions of such a basic nature, I would question whether you should be carrying out this inspection.

might be basic but i like to be 100% correct when it comes to inspecting. we all started somewhere and from what ive seen and read on here there is often some disparity as to what is acceptable/correct/ or strictly by the book. as for 10a mcbs ..with such a small load...2 or 3 lamps (energy saving) per cct...they could justifiably be downsized...however i want to strike a balance between increasing the remedial cost...and there are several items that need remedial work! and allowing what is acceptable. many thanks however for thet advice. regards ap

BTW...the lighting is spilt over 2 rcds..however as they are paired in their respective mcbs. i wont be splitting them.. even though i agree with the above that it isnt best practice.:tt1:

BTW...the lighting is spilt over 2 rcds..however as they are paired in their respective mcbs. i wont be splitting them.. even thoughi agree with the above that it isnt best practice

read on here there is often some disparity as to what is acceptable/correct/ or strictly by the book.

and thats another example of differing opinions
:smiley2:

Reply to defects on inspection in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock