• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Delete Old sub-panel? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi, I'm just wondering if it would be a smart thing to have this old panel removed...? We recently purchased a 50's vintage home. It has an updated 200A service in the basement but the upstairs lighting/outlets are still on this old panel upstairs... -- I know it would likely involve re-wiring the lights/outlets... (I could do a lot of that) - --- It all seems to be 12 awg wire but with those old thin grounds (silver in color - aluminum??) - (The grounds are visible and hooked up in the fixtures but don't seem to come to the panel...?).... OR.... should I consider just "updating" the sub-panel where it sits?
I like things to be "right." What should I be thinking about/considering...?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Megawatt

-
Arms
Hi, I'm just wondering if it would be a smart thing to have this old panel removed...? We recently purchased a 50's vintage home. It has an updated 200A service in the basement but the upstairs lighting/outlets are still on this old panel upstairs... -- I know it would likely involve re-wiring the lights/outlets... (I could do a lot of that) - --- It all seems to be 12 awg wire but with those old thin grounds (silver in color - aluminum??) - (The grounds are visible and hooked up in the fixtures but don't seem to come to the panel...?).... OR.... should I consider just "updating" the sub-panel where it sits?
I like things to be "right." What should I be thinking about/considering...?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Chuck welcome to the forum and it seems to me either way would work but if you abandoned the up stairs panel you just have 5 circuits to bring out of your 200 amp panel. If you up grade the upstairs panel the feed coming from the 200 amp panel will need to be replaced with a 4 wire cable instead of a 3 wire and at least you can get rid of that old cloth cable. Good luck

Those XO breakers have been obsolete since at least 1960, and even a bit earlier, so getting rid of those would not be a bad idea, and heed the advise above.

Reply to Delete Old sub-panel? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net