Discuss Depth of power cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Unfortunately last weekend while digging up tree stumps I managed to go through the power cable for the local scout hut. SSE are now billing me £330 for fixing it! However a neighbor thought I might be able to argue it as it's only 200mm below the surface. As it was installed with the scout hut back in the 70s should it have been installed lower? Depth of power cable? 20190812_132441 - EletriciansForums.net

Unfortunately, the DNOs have their own ways of doing things. It is up to contractors etc to access diagrams of the locations of service pipes and cables before carrying out groundworks.

There is guidance on the depth, and methods, for installation of buried cables on the customer’s side of the meter. These include recommended depths(deeper than your picture) warning tape, etc.

If it’s been damaged on the supply side it’s down to you

As @Taylortwocities said, there's for underground supply cables, certainly as the HSE are concerned.

However the Network Supply companies certainly have their own for ducting & cables. Who installed supply cable? Would it be obvious place for a cable to be run.

That said, £330 is not a huge bill to pay.

Unfortunately last weekend while digging up tree stumps I managed to go through the power cable for the local scout hut. SSE are now billing me £330 for fixing it! However a neighbor thought I might be able to argue it as it's only 200mm below the surface. As it was installed with the scout hut back in the 70s should it have been installed lower?

What did you do to identify buried services before you started work?
Was this cable in a different location to where SSE told you it would be before you started work?

£330 sounds very reasonable for this kind of repair.

What did you do to identify buried services before you started work?
Was this cable in a different location to where SSE told you it would be before you started work?

£330 sounds very reasonable for this kind of repair.

I foolishly assumed they were under the road! Two guys on time and a half for 2 hours adds up I guess!

Difficult one then, ideally you should ALWAYS assume there are buried services undergound everywhere until you confirm by way of a cable locating device and cable plans from the DNO that the ground below is clear. I think you may have to take it on the chin and cough up, count yourself lucky you did not penetrate the cable.

you should ALWAYS assume there are buried services undergound everywhere until you confirm by way of a cable locating device and cable plans from the DNO that the ground below is clear.
^^^ This.
Dig by hand where in any doubt. Also, don't assume underground services take what may currently look to be the most obvious route. They often don't, as what's on top may be very different now to what it was when they were first buried.

Hi,do you own the land that the cable passes through? As in,do you have a title deed or similar?
If so,there may have been way-leave granted,and this will have details on what and where.

The only other point i might add,is your picture of the tape measure,is irrelevant;) who,when and where the cable is,usually,is no guarantee of any stipulated depth,and there is always the chance (and escape clause) that the contractors left 600mm of spoil,over the cable and a dozen trades,scraped it back off :cool:

So, if I understand it, this is a cable that comes from the road, crosses your garden on its way to power the scout hut which is not on your property,

Need more information.

So, if I understand it, this is a cable that comes from the road, crosses your garden on its way to power the scout hut which is not on your property,

Need more information.

If that is the case, as already touched on, a wayleave will likely be in place.
You may be unaware of this - do you happen to receive a cheque for a few pounds each year from the DNO, but are unsure why?

Unfortunately last weekend while digging up tree stumps I managed to go through the power cable for the local scout hut. SSE are now billing me £330 for fixing it! However a neighbor thought I might be able to argue it as it's only 200mm below the surface. As it was installed with the scout hut back in the 70s should it have been installed lower? View attachment 51380
In the USA that cable should be a minimum of 24 inches to the top of the cable. Higher voltages are 30 inches. Having said that we would have to call ULOCO to come out and find the cable, how deep it is and follow it and put red flagged, he has what I call a tone generator and if we don’t have them to come out and check and we start digging and hit a cable the cost to fix is our responsibility. I know a contractor who didn’t follow the rules and they cut a 500 pair on a fiber optic cable and it cost him a bit load of money plus being fined thousands of dollars. There is signs that say call before you dig

Well I think that changes things somewhat, do they have the correct wayleaves in place for the cable to be in your land?
If not you may want to get a solicitor to lookin to this for you.
Which will cost a lot more than £330 unfortunately

Try telling them that there is no warning tape above the cable,it could make them more benevolent
Make them prove they have permission for that cable to be on your land

Reply to Depth of power cable? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock