Discuss Design 2396 Project - 2016 in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jake1992

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi people,

How did everyone find the test the other day ?
Any one started the project?

Hello, I did the 2396 exam the other week. I thought it was intense. Felt I did the best that I could of done. There was a few questions I know I've got wrong and a couple big ones that I struggled to get the information for. But then again there was a lot of smaller mark questions which I thought I did ok on. So can't really say how well I feel I've done. Just praying for a pass.
How did you find it ?

J

Jake1992

Think it went ok. Couple of big questions I struggled with too.
Won't find out till 6-8 weeks :( !
You started the library yet ?

J

Jake1992

Sorry mate, I have only just seen that you have replied to this. Ill keep hold of your email... haha... I still havn't started yet :( !! trying to balance work and personal life.... and to try and squeeze this in :( ! but I have booked off the end of may (12 days of work) ! - im aiming to get atleast 8 hours a day - for 12 days....and see how far that gets me! ... Along side a nice bottle of rum I think ! - how are you getting on?? in my head im semi planning it out... think im going to do separate drawings for power, lighting, power containment & lighting containment - just so it looks neater and easier to understand ! - maybe start drawing the cable runs soon, then leave the hard stuff for my days off !

J

Jake1992

I did this and it does look better, I would recommend doing the cable routes first so its easier to plan where to put your wiring enclosures. I did all my cable routes on A1 plans for the scale and the wiring enclosures on A3. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Neil

Ah - I have printed a lot of A4 duplicates - do you think this would be too small? - Also - I want to use the figures and values from BS:7671 for my cable ratings and breaker D/Times - but in the project, I need to show what brand/make of breakers and cables I am using. Would you state at the start of the project that I am using 7671 instead of the brands D/Times and cable ratings etc ? - For example, if I use Wylex breakers... I know I can gather info about the MCB that would differ from 7671... but id rather just stick to the book (Even if the 7671 is OTT with its figures and values)

J

Jake1992

Yeah I think so, but maybe your tutor may say different, the wiring enclosure should not need to be scale so A4 would be ok but the cable routes should be, to work out your cable calcs, Zs etc.

I used BS7671 tables, but again your tutor/assessor may say different.

Tutor said its up to us, he said that we could get better and more accurate results/values if we use the manufactures information about the cable/breaker .. but he said we could also use the book.. The 2016 project is only a small library - I think if it was slightly bigger, with a fair few sub boards - I would use information from the cable manufacture etc - but I think im going to settle for 7671 :) - He also said A4 is fine, A1 drawing is only to scale our runs etc.. but I wasn't sure if it would look 'ok' on A4 - or if I had to up it to A3

J

Jake1992

I have just got to "get into it" then haha :) - yeah I agree - this project doesn't seem that hard compared to others out there! - Don't have to do any EM lights or PV with this project (Unlike the petrol station the project before this one). No sub boards, just the 1. So I guess im kind of happy that I have been given an easy one - but disappointed that its not going to 'test' me... as such. If that makes sense haha

J

Jake1992

Yeah totally understand mate, I completed the 236 C Course in 2004 and the course lasted the best part of a year, it had a load of design projects and was tough. I didn't really need the level 4 2396 but I thought I would do it to see if there is anything I can learn and get a better understanding of how the course should be run for my job. Needless to say I learnt maybe one thing probably due to the course being taught poorly and was disappointed in the end.

The training centre I went too - I learnt a lot from. Really good training centre. They showed us previous projects etc (before we got given the library) - and they looked tough and fun, and required a lot of work. How are you getting on with library now? Much progress?

J

Jake1992

How many hours has it taken? - as I cant imagine it taking as many hours as the other projects. I have booked 12 days off- just hoping its enough time if I spend 8 hours a day (for 12 days) :)

Jake, you mention about only using the one distribution board which is on the drawing, I'm struggling to get within the volt drop limits for the longer circuits without having ridiculous cable sizes, the only way I can see past it is by adding a distribution board toward the middle of the library, unless I'm doing something totally wrong :-s Let me know how you get on.
Jordan.

I used three, the main DB to supply two 3 phase distribution circuits to two DBs, which I put in the store room for easy access to authorised staff in the even of power needed to be isolated or switched on.

That's what I'm looking at doing, two sub DB'S one for downstairs one for upstairs. Except I was going to mount the boards more towards the center of the library, on one of the steels.

What size cables have you ended up with for your power circuits if you don't mind me asking?

Reply to Design 2396 Project - 2016 in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net