Discuss Design 32a 4mm radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning I wonder if I could have some confirmation in regards to a radial circuit.

I have been showing apprentices different methods if wiring ring and radial circuits.

I wish to continue this next week.
I can not see any regulation not permitting the drawing enclosed, I would just like to confirm if it is installed on a 32a mcb with rcd protection and uses 4mm throughout, in my mind this would operate the same as if you ran a cable from main consumer unit to secondary (e.g garage) using an adequate power supply and cable and then allocating circuits.

Your assistance would be appreciated!
Kind regards
Paul20210710_114712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My first question here is how are all the 4mm cables joined?

Many MCB and terminal blocks have a limit on the number/size of cable they can accommodate.

Beyond that your 32A MCB should be fine for 4mm under most installation conditions, so it should be fine. You ought to check the supply Ze and cable length just in case, but for most reasonable situations the only big question is the cable splitting arrangement.

While you can legitimately use an RCD to achieve disconnection with high Ze (e.g. TT system) I would usually suggest you plan for disconnection being met on the OCPD aspect first, and only if no sane route to meeting it should you depend on the RCD.

I don't have the book handy - but I think this is only ok if the 4mm T+E is surface clipped direct.
On a completely different topic what I don't like about it is extra joints that have to be accessible for maintenance, but that is more of a practical application matter.

Looks effectively like a 'lollipop' arrangement!
Which not everyone likes but is deemed acceptable these days providing usual design criteria is met!

Not a standard circuit, no description of this method in BS 7671, S personally I wouldn't install it this way.

Looks effectively like a 'lollipop' arrangement!
Which not everyone likes but is deemed acceptable these days providing usual design criteria is met!
I though the lollipop was a RFC fed from a sort of sub-main cable like an existing cooker supply that was repurposed? (Or sometimes a deliberate feed & isolator for things like school laboratories, etc)

It is more of a tree circuit, with a feed "trunk" and branches to each of the sockets.

Personally I would prefer a multi-socket radial to be all in-line as then a check on the last socket verifies all continuity (rather like end-end on RFC).

A quick check in OSG Table 7.1(ii) as CCC met for clipped direct for feeder but not otherwise, and marginal for other cases on the branches (e.g. max demand for double sockets would be fine for all but 1010/103 method)

Reply to Design 32a 4mm radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net