Discuss Design Course More questions!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, And sorry to be a pest with the questions.
Basically I'm on my design course, I've just found out I've passed my exam with a merit, But now I'm struggling with a few things in the project.

1) When Sizing a cable on a ring circuit for V/D what is the formula, I'm fairly sure you have to divide something by 4 but I'm not sure where in the formula it goes, ( I'm also aware that table 8A gives you sizes but I assume you need to show your formulas for the project)

2) I also have a number of 110v sockets (25 I think) Someone on here already suggested a 5KVA transformer, So would I feed all Sockets from that? (I have no idea on the KVA calcs, we only glanced at them In college)

Thanks Again
James

1. Ring V.D. = cable mV/A/m x Ib x circuit length divide by 1000 then divide by 4.

2. i wouldnt spec just 1 transformer for that many sockets ??
division of supply and loads to reduce minimal distruption under fault maybe ??
try at least 4.

think about it for a while mr billy big boots i got a credit.
;-)

Thanks Biff, Just a quick question on the 5KVA transformer, Is the 5kva the 'loading' of the transformer (I.e I need to size the cable to 5KVA) or is it the load the transformer will take?
Thanks agan.

Why are you specifying ring final circuits?
They can help sometimes if you are struggling for capacity, but it is nearly always better to opt for a 4mm radial than a 2.5mm RFC in a commercial/industrial environment.
Easier to install, easier to test, and the cable always has overload protection if it is modified in future, which a RFC will not if someone spurs off and puts more than one socket outlet on it.

They can help sometimes if you are struggling for capacity, but it is nearly always better to opt for a 4mm radial than a 2.5mm RFC in a commercial/industrial environment.
Easier to install, easier to test, and the cable always has overload protection if it is modified in future, which a RFC will not if someone spurs off and puts more than one socket outlet on it.

The project may specify that ring circuits are to be used

distance , pure and simple.
although both methods will provide 32a of usable power , a ring using x2 2.5mm legs will give you a combined cpc of 3mm which will allow a much longer circuit than the 1.5 earth in a 4mm t&e cable.

although in all other respects i agree with your preference for radials , C&G design projects have this annoying habit of making the student use exceptionally long circuits for sockets & lights.

in fact on my project i had to spec a 4mm ring !! just to get round the brutal volt drop at terminal load of a circuit that had a socket 35mtrs from the DB.

basically , its all about the maths

I hadn't even considered radials to be honest, most of the sockets look like they will be used for computers, so I may end up sticking a few 4mm rings in anyway.
And a final question on the transformer note, do I size my cable (feeding the transformer) to 5kva or do I size it to the load of the 110v sockets it will supply?

Rings can be handy for supplying computers.

As for the transformer I would find suitable ones and get manuf data sheets, use their figures and include the data sheets in your project. The transformers may have a fair bit of inrush.

Reply to Design Course More questions!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net