Discuss Designing a supercapacitor circuit in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

magicasd

hi, i'm given a project assignment of building a supercapacitor which can store roughly 700V to 1000V.
Now i'm designing a circuit (discharging) which can help me light up a few LEDs using Voltage charge stored in the
supercapacitor. The purpose of the circuit is to show that the supercapacitor can Light up the LEDS for a certain period of
time.. I would like to know how to design a circuit which can control the rate of discharge of the supercapacitor.
what are the components required to step down and control the high voltage in order not to destroy the LEDs...

I work electrical maintenance for a capacitor production factory, to test our capacitors in a fault condition, we charge up 250 x 2500mf capacitors all linked together, charge them up, and discharge the voltage accross just one, the flash is totaly immense, we limit the amps flowing to 1000A using a 1ohm resistor and 1000v of charge, but everything i've just said wont help you.

We age our capacitors by discharging 60w lamps in a similar way to what you need to do, I dont get to involved in this process as its a factory producing thousands a day and i'm just the electrician, but if you still want I can look at the wiring plans for our capacitor discharge aging systems and work out how we regulate the voltage in order to not fry the lamps.

If you had five 100watt bulbs that operate at 200v, and 1000v charged in your capacitor, would 5 lamps work in series accross the capacitors plus and neg.

I dont know, ill try work it out tomorrow and look at our aging systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Designing a supercapacitor circuit in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net