Discuss Designing and calculating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

I asked my work to help me wrap my head around calculating and designing for cable sizes. I watched chris kitcher on poo tube to get a better grip. My manager posed a scenario and ive tried calculating it but it doesnt seem right.

This is the set up.

There is an outbuilding 45m away that will have sockets and lights. Expect usage to be about 3kw.
It will be run underground but just buried no additional protection.

So i started with design current
Ib=p/v=3000/230 equals 13.04A

Protective device range
IN= 16A

Rating factor for ambient temp is roughly 30 degrees so this is equal to 1.00.
It greater than or equal to IN over rating factor equals 16/1.00 =16A

Reference method D so in table 4E4A to find anything near 16a means itll only be a 1.5mm conductor size.....

Where have i gone wrong??

Double check the table you are using as well...

Hi guys

I asked my work to help me wrap my head around calculating and designing for cable sizes. I watched chris kitcher on poo tube to get a better grip. My manager posed a scenario and ive tried calculating it but it doesnt seem right.

This is the set up.

There is an outbuilding 45m away that will have sockets and lights. Expect usage to be about 3kw.

Protective device range
IN= 16A

Reference method D so in table 4E4A to find anything near 16a means itll only be a 1.5mm conductor size.....

A good video to get you started, there are plenty more, but this Bloke is one of the best, imo

Hi guys

This is the set up.

Protective device range
IN= 16A

Hi,

Im currently doing the 104 assignment for the hotel, cafe & pool.

Got this from my training provider which might help:

Screenshot_20181101-173314_Gallery.jpg

As no one has commented "Spoon, not only are you stunningly good looking but your observation skills are second to none.." on my post #5, I thought I'd better expand on it....
Check out reg 512.1.5

Reply to Designing and calculating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net