Discuss details of departures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

m1ck_b87

Hi all again

On a minor works certificate it asks for departures now does this refer to the whole installation or just the circuit you are working on.

Ive always taken it as details of any departures from the work Im doing under the minor works cert. Not that Ive ever had any as you would have to do some explaining as to why!!

You could end up opening a whole can of worms if its departures covering the whole installation .......

Ive always taken it as details of any departures from the work Im doing under the minor works cert. Not that Ive ever had any as you would have to do some explaining as to why!!

You could end up opening a whole can of worms if its departures covering the whole installation .......
yep...new install....no departures...

you are not altering or adding so just do the like for like replacement. Aslong as the relevant tests are up to scratch, then fill out the MWC.

If you don't do it someone else will.

You try telling a customer they need an RCD put in circuit when they want a like for like replacement, and you definitley wont get the job lol. You could advise on the benefits of a 17th board, but thats about it.

Who would really apart from a certain mr cockford or whatever his name was depart from BS7671,the section only covers what you have done so would say none/none noted,anything else existing that you have observed which seems incorrect would be noted in the observations/recommendations section.

Its also on the EIC. And you would fill in all the code 3 departures and FI's especially in the case of a board change. On a MWC or an EIC, you could comment on the 6 mm earth that it is reccomended to be upped where there's no sign of thermal damage or deterioration, or where an extra socket has been installed and there are sockets on skirting boards practically sat on the floor on the same circuit.

But the no rcd would not be a DEPARTURE,the departure is there for if the electrician takes it upon themselves to ignor BS7671 and use there own method of installation that is not recognised in BS7671 which is non statutory,dont think i can ever remember seeing anything wriiten in that column.Observations is a completely different kettle of fish.

Its also on the EIC. And you would fill in all the code 3 departures and FI's especially in the case of a board change. On a MWC or an EIC, you could comment on the 6 mm earth that it is reccomended to be upped where there's no sign of thermal damage or deterioration, or where an extra socket has been installed and there are sockets on skirting boards practically sat on the floor on the same circuit.
yep...how many times have we seen this been alloted a 2...without no visual inspection clearly having been carried out...
i will agree with you this time chilli...

The rcd wouldn't be a departure if for instance, the cables that are concealed within the fabric of the building are greater than a depth of 50mm+, they have a metalic sheath, or a metallic covering (ideally 3mm thick). The sockets don't supply fixed or portable items of equipment outdoors rated at 32 amp and below, or other outlets on the same circuit installed within zones of a special location. In the case of a board change where the cables aren't MICC, and there is no design information available, you would have to use rcd protection to avoid a code 2 departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the no rcd would not be a DEPARTURE,the departure is there for if the electrician takes it upon themselves to ignor BS7671 and use there own method of installation that is not recognised in BS7671 which is non statutory,dont think i can ever remember seeing anything wriiten in that column.Observations is a completely different kettle of fish.

Just make sure i clarify, after the other fella seemed to quote me on a depature thing i never stated. I agree, depature only if the electrician strays from bs7671 - which you wouldn't.

The rcd wouldn't be a departure if for instance, the cables that are concealed within the fabric of the building are greater than a depth of 50mm+, they have a metalic sheath, or a metallic covering (ideally 3mm thick). The sockets don't supply fixed or portable items of equipment outdoors rated at 32 amp and below, or other outlets on the same circuit installed within zones of a special location. In the case of a board change where the cables aren't MICC, and there is no design information available, you would have to use rcd protection to avoid a code 2 departure.
give up chilli...this is standard...

- - - Updated - - -

i thought you were better than that

The only departure i would ever do would be from gate 20 gatwick south terminal on me hols.Anyone who fancies a departure from the regs good luck to them,maybe they can sell some sheeeite books on amazon lol

Reply to details of departures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net