Discuss details of transformers for bench sockets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Carlos76

hi all. 1st post so go easy.
i am currently doing the 2391-2 design course and have the Carters Automotive Electronics project. Part of the assignment asks for details on the bench sockets using electrical separation. I cant seem to find any info on here about how tranny would be fed from d/b. would you just use a socket outlet and plug tranny in and what output from tranny in amps would be used for sockets? i assume it would be 16 or 20 amps as its a radial There are 3 banks of 6 sockets on seperate radials.
any help would be appriciated
thanks

im just putting finishing touches to my project mate. i ran 3 radial circuits to the isolating transformers 3.5 kva, i think it just connects straight in, out goin from tranny done via pvc conduit and pvc dado trunking

thanks for the reply gamblor6. thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure if the tranny just plugs in (bs 1363 socket). are you using a 16a socket from the tranny to the bank of sockets in the dado trunking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there.Has the Transformer secondary terminals got fuses fitted as you need to fuse the secondary to protect the cable and the outlets.

This set up is also used in many industrial and commercial laboratories too. Generally, all such supplied socket outlets are colour coded to distinguish the supply source, Yellow has normally been the colour chosen on the project i have been involved with..

the one i chose has double pole fusing on the outgoing side, its a toroidal transformer.they are mounted in the db cupboard. ive removed the 3x dskts in this room to prevent importing earths

not quite sure what you're doing-but you wouldn't need to remove any existing sockets afaik

the trafo's are isolating but the secondary centre tap is earthed via resistor for SSU or directly for RLV(standard yellow socket)

an actual isolated supply for a bank of sockets would prob be a hazard

not quite sure what you're doing-but you wouldn't need to remove any existing sockets afaik

the trafo's are isolating but the secondary centre tap is earthed via resistor for SSU or directly for RLV(standard yellow socket)

an actual isolated supply for a bank of sockets would prob be a hazard

its an audio electronics repair area, imo the sockets.ll supply a lamp or soldering iron,

existing exposed or bonded metal wouldn't be a hazard near sockets -isolated or CTE

that i can think of

unless you needed to remove standard sockets to prevent their use

i also think this question of the project is asking for reg 418.3 to be used so dont forget to mention this when writing your project up.

This set up is also used in many industrial and commercial laboratories too. Generally, all such supplied socket outlets are colour coded to distinguish the supply source, Yellow has normally been the colour chosen on the project i have been involved with..

this is the perfect soloution thank you.

This sort of question and some of the answers im reading sound like guys who are "studying" but have not done site work and are looking WAY to deeply into it

gamblor6 is right the non seperated sockets would have to be removed to be sure the area is earth free. However instead of using 3 x Electrically seperated Tx's (which would have to be mounted in the DB cupboard area) supplying the bench sockets, I am trying to source some electrically seperated socket outlets (much like shaver socket outlets). If I can find some then the 3 bench areas can be supplied using 3 X conventional radial feeds. What do you think?

Not upto your skillset but you reasoned "The more the better"

1) provision of antistatic wristbands or mats for assemblers of sensitive electronic equipment.

2) Soldering...? Provision of fume extraction.

Hi Carlos,
I have used isolating transformer when i was working on power supplies and TV sets. It's really useful item for safety. I think, this is really helpful.

while were on the subject of Blakley units. It says on the blakeley website that double pole switched 13a sockets should be used. is this a regulation or their suggestion?
the school im currently tested does not have dp skts fitted.

Reply to details of transformers for bench sockets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock